Dialling in the Marshalls

The Hook uses a "mu follower" instead of a cathode follower. Cathode followers have low output impedance but distort quite easily. Mu followers address some of the problems of cathode followers.

Is there any way to replicate that behaviour with other models using the advanced parameters?

Also, for anyone who wants it, here's the preset from the "Pimp My Marshall" video with Cliff's input EQ high cut and triode 1 freq tweaks, plus some MBC and a little post EQ. Outrageous.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6617

My favorite video from you to date.

Another little anecdote to consider:
When modding Marshalls for higher gain sometimes the modder will decrease the input frequency response to reduce noise and fizziness. You can do this by reducing the high-cut frequency in the input EQ. Or you can use a high-shelf filter which is a little more subtle. Another technique is to put a capacitor across the second-to-last triode stage. This is the "Triode 1 Plate Freq" parameter. Reduce this to around 2 kHz to start which is typical of amps like an SLO100, etc.

I guess other modded Marshall amps like the Friedman BE do quite the opposite, at least for the capacitor in the second-to-last triode stage. The values of the Triode Plate Frequency 1 & 2 are fairly high, which means that there is not a lot of high frequency reduction.

I have a high frequency noise issue with my 2.4 GHz wireless system and exactly this filtering with the Triode Plate Frequency, since it is the only tuning parameter to get rid of the noise. Every other amp with a lower high frequency response in the preamp won't let the noise pass through.

Hey @2112 (Leon),

Gotta tell you thanks for these videos. I love your simple and common sense approach, and how you don't introduce any "magic" formulas into your tweaking. I also appreciate your your sunny disposition and how you don't take yourself too seriously. It's a breath of fresh air in this space. Next time I'm in Perth, the pints are on me.

Hey @2112 (Leon),

Gotta tell you thanks for these videos. I love your simple and common sense approach, and how you don't introduce any "magic" formulas into your tweaking. I also appreciate your your sunny disposition and how you don't take yourself too seriously. It's a breath of fresh air in this space. Next time I'm in Perth, the pints are on me.

This. Although I wish I was close to Perth to buy that pint for him!

I do kind of like the 'stink face' when he finds a cab or setting that sounds like @ss.

The Hook uses a "mu follower" instead of a cathode follower. Cathode followers have low output impedance but distort quite easily. Mu followers address some of the problems of cathode followers.

Is there any way to replicate that behaviour with other models using the advanced parameters?

Since a mu-follower is more linear and cleaner then a cathode-follower would reducing/zero-ing the CATHODE FOLLOWER COMPRESSION replicate/get closer to a mu-follower as you dial it down?

I notice on the Hook amp that parameter is "0", so essentially a mu-follower ...???

From the wiki (http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp_block#CATHODE_FOLLOWER_COMPRESSION):

CATHODE FOLLOWER COMPRESSION

This sets the amount of cathode follower compression. Defaults to zero when the amp (model) doesn't have a cathode follower.

....and what a great video series! I really enjoy watching your vids...they are interesting and very well done. Kudos and thanks...!

Last edited:
1987X is in my top 3 Marshalls. I seem to prefer 50 watters.

Oh yea, the 1987X is my favorite Marshall in the AFX and has been in my main preset bank for years. Next would be the JM45. I've recently changed to that amp for my clean and mid-gain presets. It's has a bold, immediate punch and is very dynamic and expressive with single coils. The amp is very bottom heavy and woofy so you gotta wrestle it into shape, but is worth the effort..

Hey @2112 (Leon),

Gotta tell you thanks for these videos. I love your simple and common sense approach, and how you don't introduce any "magic" formulas into your tweaking. I also appreciate your sunny disposition and how you don't take yourself too seriously. It's a breath of fresh air in this space. Next time I'm in Perth, the pints are on me.

Yeah I agree on Leon's sunny disposition...is contagious!
Over the years I've learned to distinguish humans in two groups: green light people and red light people, Leon falls squarely in the first category.

Also, for anyone who wants it, here's the preset from the "Pimp My Marshall" video with Cliff's input EQ high cut and triode 1 freq tweaks, plus some MBC and a little post EQ. Outrageous.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6617

Man, I don't have a III in the present time but I'm treasuring your nice presets for the future, big thanks!

Hi Leon.... Killer videos as usual.

Try changing the JCM-800 model's Master Volume location ('Power Amp' tab) from 'Pre-PI' (default) to 'Post-PI'. Master Volume around '5', Input Gain around '6'. You will have to raise the 'Level' parameter to compensate for the loss of volume. Turns it into a beast!
thank you for the tip!!going to try that on the JCM-800

Back
Top Bottom