Dialling in the Marshalls

Check me here, but didn't Dave Meniketti play a Cameron on 'Summertime Girls'? A guilty pleasure song.

Years ago I heard a live version of this song on the radio, and that tone still lives rent free in my head. Some delay, and a 'Marshall...but BETTER' thing going on there. (I have not been able to..as yet...find that rendition.)

Never found the Atomica to be a great amp for me...but I may have to revisit with a brighter cab...it just seems dark to me.

That is a KILLER song and great guitar sound. the Atomica definitely likes bright guitars and cabs.

@Moke and a few others suggested the PPIMV 'mod' for the Brit 800 so it got me excited to do a video about my favourite Axe-III 'mods'.

My favorite video from you to date.

Another little anecdote to consider:
When modding Marshalls for higher gain sometimes the modder will decrease the input frequency response to reduce noise and fizziness. You can do this by reducing the high-cut frequency in the input EQ. Or you can use a high-shelf filter which is a little more subtle. Another technique is to put a capacitor across the second-to-last triode stage. This is the "Triode 1 Plate Freq" parameter. Reduce this to around 2 kHz to start which is typical of amps like an SLO100, etc.

Great video as always.:cool: Try that PPIMV 'mod' on the 'Dumble' based models too...:eek:

Diving into this today, can't wait. i've always struggled with D style amps.

My favorite video from you to date.

Another little anecdote to consider:
When modding Marshalls for higher gain sometimes the modder will decrease the input frequency response to reduce noise and fizziness. You can do this by reducing the high-cut frequency in the input EQ. Or you can use a high-shelf filter which is a little more subtle. Another technique is to put a capacitor across the second-to-last triode stage. This is the "Triode 1 Plate Freq" parameter. Reduce this to around 2 kHz to start which is typical of amps like an SLO100, etc.

This was definitely one of the most enjoyable ones to make. I'll definitely be trying these tweaks too.

Yo dawg, I heard you like marshalls, so we put in a marshall in your marshall so you can ac/dc when you ac/dc

That needs to be on a tee shirt.

Great video series. Will be revisiting these.

My first Marshall was a Plexi but with 6550s. Lost a fair amount of my hearing to that, but what a glorious sound. Wish the AXE had been available then!

Great video series. Will be revisiting these.

My first Marshall was a Plexi but with 6550s. Lost a fair amount of my hearing to that, but what a glorious sound. Wish the AXE had been available then!

The 50w Plexi 6550 is one of my favorites in the Axe; was yours a 50 or 100?

Back
Top Bottom