Dialling in the Marshalls

Here is a question to fractal fellas and my thoughts on it:

1) These amps (example: 1959, 1987, Plexi 100 or similar ones i forget) with stock settings they might sound different but if you try just a little bit, use the same IR, you can get almost the same tone out of all of them) this is not only about marshalls, same for different class a types or fenders or other types and models which i dont use much.

2) Result of my thoughts on 1, I feel like many people can get overwhelmed and lost with amp models and IRs (including my self), my approach lately started being more and more "Pick 1 Vintage Marshall, Fender, Class A etc" and stick to it to get different flavors and bond with the Amp more and more as time goes by to make it sound more like you...and make more music instead of scrolling amps, IRs and turning knobs up and down.

Would like to know others thoughts and approach on this.

When I dial early Marshalls (JM45, plexis, 800s) I often start with Bass middle and treble all the way up, and then reduce from there. It is my understanding (it may be completely wrong) that with these kind of tone stacks that all the way up is sort of all-signal-through, and the tone controls are pure attenuators.
Unless you have active tone controls (most amps don’t), all of the tone controls are “pure attenuators.”

Do what works for you. It doesn’t matter where you start. It only matters where you end up.

I highly recommend downloading Duncan’s Tone Stack Calculator. Spin the virtual knobs, and see what your amp is really doing.

Unless you have active tone controls (most amps don’t), all of the tone controls are “pure attenuators.”

Do what works for you. It doesn’t matter where you start. It only matters where you end up.

I highly recommend downloading Duncan’s Tone Stack Calculator. Spin the virtual knobs, and see what your amp is really doing.

Rex thx for this advise. For people on Mac, its an .exe file but you can install and open it with Winebottler. It's free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Ok so it doesn't say Marshall on the badge but the Atomica is probably my favourite Marshall-style amp in the III. It can do everything from classic rock tones to scooped metal and it's the amp I reach for first when i need a thick and meaty rock tone.

Ok so it doesn't say Marshall on the badge but the Atomica is probably my favourite Marshall-style amp in the III. It can do everything from classic rock tones to scooped metal and it's the amp I reach for first when i need a thick and meaty rock tone.

Listening to this now. Sounds awesome! Great work Leon!

The Blue mode sounds eerily close to my Soldano Hot Rod.
In real life I'm a huge fan of the block letter. Well really I'm a fan of every model of 5150. I haven't had a chance to really crack the code on the fractal 5150 model. It didn't strike me as exciting as I thought it would. I need to work with it a little bit more when I can get some time. The 50 watt blue channel model is just so good it's not funny.

Cameron amps are basically modified Marshalls. The Atomica is essentially a slightly modified JCM800 with a Jose-style zener clipper.

Cameron amps are basically modified Marshalls. The Atomica is essentially a slightly modified JCM800 with a Jose-style zener clipper.

The model sits right in the goldilocks zone for me. I need to play with the CCV some more while I remember.​

Check me here, but didn't Dave Meniketti play a Cameron on 'Summertime Girls'? A guilty pleasure song.

Years ago I heard a live version of this song on the radio, and that tone still lives rent free in my head. Some delay, and a 'Marshall...but BETTER' thing going on there. (I have not been able to..as yet...find that rendition.)

Never found the Atomica to be a great amp for me...but I may have to revisit with a brighter cab...it just seems dark to me.

Back
Top Bottom