Dialling in the Marshalls

Loving this series Leon. I have a video suggestion: teach us more about different types of IRs and what types work well with what types of amps. I know Yek makes suggestions in his amp guide but I think that would be a great video. And now that they are laid out so well in the AF3 I think even I can figure it out if I had more knowledge on speaker types etc. Anyway - just a suggestion :) Thanks for all you do.

Learning a lot about how someone else with a great ear dials things in. I like how much emphasis you put on the cabs chosen. Picking some I wouldn’t have tried.

Do the Hooks!

I watched these videos and subscribed (Rob L. on YouTube). Great vids I'm really close to ordering an Axe3!

great stuff

i wouldn't describe the jcm800 as gritty though. i think it has a glassy "sheen" to it, which is very different from all other marshalls. once you hear it, you can identify an 800 from a mile away. with an 808 in front and V30's behind, i think it's marshall heaven

quick note on the marshall jubilee...it was actually designed to run into V30's, so they should always be your first port of call with this amp. also, unlike many other marshalls, you can max out the bass out control without introducing muddiness, as long as the treb and middle are high enough. (i used to have one of the original ones, which i bought in 1987...traded in my AC30 for it. it was actually the short head and angled 2x12 cab. collectors item now)

That's great to know about the Jubilee. An angled 212 is super interesting too. Definitely going to try it with those settings!

The 800 is the definitive Marshall sound to me. It feels like nothing else and the Axe nails it!

When I first got my AX8, I needed to find a Plexi quick - I went through all the options (rather quickly) and decided I liked the 1987X better than the other Plexi choices. This was many firmwares ago. Maybe it's time for another run.

Today, my go to Marshalls are the JM45 Jump, Brit 800 #34 and sometimes the Silver Jubilee. I also really like the FAS HotRod

Awesome, as always! Very nice crunch tones.

The 1987X was a recent great discovery for me, when trying to recreate some early Malmsteen tones.
With settings on full (except bass), I found it having way more definition than the 50W Plexi models.
Put a DOD 250 in front of it and it'll start shredding like crazy... :D:D:D

When I dial early Marshalls (JM45, plexis, 800s) I often start with Bass middle and treble all the way up, and then reduce from there. It is my understanding (it may be completely wrong) that with these kind of tone stacks that all the way up is sort of all-signal-through, and the tone controls are pure attenuators.

When I dial early Marshalls (JM45, plexis, 800s) I often start with Bass middle and treble all the way up, and then reduce from there. It is my understanding (it may be completely wrong) that with these kind of tone stacks that all the way up is sort of all-signal-through, and the tone controls are pure attenuators.

I recently read also somewhere that the tone controls on these amps are substractive, meaning fully turned up, it lets the tone thru, and turned down, it starts cutting the frequencies. But i am not sure if it's all true or not.

Back
Top Bottom