Dialling in the Marshalls

I’ve been loving these Marshall videos! Thanks for putting them together for us.

I don’t have an Axe III, as I’m still working with the Axe II. I wonder if the Plexi 2204 sounds different between these AxeFx units. The Plexi 2204 sounds very flubby when I’ve tried it, but sounds great in your video.

I’ve been loving these Marshall videos! Thanks for putting them together for us.

I don’t have an Axe III, as I’m still working with the Axe II. I wonder if the Plexi 2204 sounds different between these AxeFx units. The Plexi 2204 sounds very flubby when I’ve tried it, but sounds great in your video.

What IR are you using with it?

What IR are you using with it?

I’ve tried quite a few. I just picked up the ML Legends pack and I tried the M75 SM57 IR with the Plexi 2204. Even though that’s a fairly bright IR, it still sounds flubby, even with bass turned all the way down and mid/treble turned all the way up.

I guess I can’t expect to gel with every amp model. But I can get a great sound with almost all of the other Marshall models.

You could also try some Multiband compression after the cab to tighten up the low mids. Then again, if you vibe with the other amps why not just use them as you say :)

Thanks again for your effort and help, and everyone’s comments and supplemental suggestions. I’d like to ask a question: I’m trying to emulate my Model 1986 50W Plexi heads. I jumper the inputs. Should I be starting with a stock JTM model and modify, or start with a stock Plexi 50W, and make adjustments (what I’ve been attempting to date). I just can’t seem to get it sounding like my old amp. I know the electronic differences between the 1986 and 1987, and I have it reasonably close. But I just can’t seem to get the right honk out of the model.

Thanks again for your effort and help, and everyone’s comments and supplemental suggestions. I’d like to ask a question: I’m trying to emulate my Model 1986 50W Plexi heads. I jumper the inputs. Should I be starting with a stock JTM model and modify, or start with a stock Plexi 50W, and make adjustments (what I’ve been attempting to date). I just can’t seem to get it sounding like my old amp. I know the electronic differences between the 1986 and 1987, and I have it reasonably close. But I just can’t seem to get the right honk out of the model.

How are you comparing them?
AXE->monitors
Amp->cab
?

Thanks Leon!

I haven't watched the Plexi version all the way through...but I will. I loved the result of the 800...did you say in there you're using a custom IR? Is that available or a Factory 'equivalent'?

I’ve tried quite a few. I just picked up the ML Legends pack and I tried the M75 SM57 IR with the Plexi 2204. Even though that’s a fairly bright IR, it still sounds flubby, even with bass turned all the way down and mid/treble turned all the way up.

I guess I can’t expect to gel with every amp model. But I can get a great sound with almost all of the other Marshall models.
Upload the preset on the II board and ask for help. I'm sure some folks can help you out.

@2112 All killer; no filler. As usual, LT. Your III videos are inspiring and educational.

FYI, when playing live, I send Out1 with Ownhammer JBL D120 IR Cab block to FOH, and get my stage volume with what’s listed above with Out2 (for songs requiring a Marshall).

Should I be starting with a stock JTM model and modify, or start with a stock Plexi 50W, and make adjustments (what I’ve been attempting to date). I just can’t seem to get it sounding like my old amp. I know the electronic differences between the 1986 and 1987, and I have it reasonably close.

That's basically a JTM with SS rectification and a stiffer power supply. I'd just add power supply capacitance/reduce sag.

Hi Leon.... Killer videos as usual.

Try changing the JCM-800 model's Master Volume location ('Power Amp' tab) from 'Pre-PI' (default) to 'Post-PI'. Master Volume around '5', Input Gain around '6'. You will have to raise the 'Level' parameter to compensate for the loss of volume. Turns it into a beast!

Hi Leon.... Killer videos as usual.

Try changing the JCM-800 model's Master Volume location ('Power Amp' tab) from 'Pre-PI' (default) to 'Post-PI'. Master Volume around '5', Input Gain around '6'. You will have to raise the 'Level' parameter to compensate for the loss of volume. Turns it into a beast!
+1. PPIMV is a popular Plexi/JCM800 mod. Makes the amp sound mean.

Back
Top Bottom