Dialling in speaker resonant frequency

adew

Inspired
I asked the same question in the Amp Speaker Page matched to cab? thread but, as it sank without trace, here it is again.

In that thread, during discussion of dialling in the low resonant frequency in the Amp block Speaker tab, Simeon mentioned this:

...it's easy to just look up what speakers are in any particular cab and then find out what the low resonant frequency is and add 10Hz.
What is the rationale for adding 10Hz to the manufacturer's figure?

Thanks.

manufacturer's figure is for the speaker alone. I guess that adding the 10Hz accounts for the cab's contribution to where the resonant frequency lies.

Based on what other people have said in the past, the value should usually sit between 100Hz and 120Hz

I asked the same question in the Amp Speaker Page matched to cab? thread but, as it sank without trace, here it is again.

In that thread, during discussion of dialling in the low resonant frequency in the Amp block Speaker tab, Simeon mentioned this:

What is the rationale for adding 10Hz to the manufacturer's figure?

Thanks.
I've followed about every question asked about this subject for quite some time and there has always been a big question mark hanging over this subject! No one seems to want to address it with a definitive answer or solution! There have been a couple IR creators that published the resonant frequency of the cab they are shooting ( you Rock!!) I believe Cliff has dropped a couple (like the Low Res for his Cab ) ( then the search for the thread hidden somewhere in the haystack to find it )It may not be as large of a factor for FR as it is for PA and Cab users , but it still plays a role in the accuracy of the result of a paired amp and Cab !! I've heard the phrase all my life (you are a smart man , you'll figure it out !) but most users will never be able to get there and give up frustrated! This knowledge posted for the individual cab IR's would be most helpful !! The way I've processed this is the add 10hz to the speaker low res frequency applies to open back cabs , but depending on the amount of space open ( full , 1/2 , 3/4 ,closed back ) determines the amount the frequency is raised to match the Cab! Closed back ranges somewhere in the 100hz to 120hz range for 4x12's ,,closed 2x12 would be different , 1x12 different yet! With the knowledge the average user has to apply to this , It's all guesswork ! It's a busy world and very few have the extra time to give to researching, gathering the tools to do this and learn to use them correctly ! Hopefully this will be included soon for the Cab packs we purchase ! I for one have spent a pretty good chunk of change on them !

My theory is, auditioning IR's, when you find an IR that happens to match the default settings of the AMP block SPKR page, it sounds better.

If I had better skills, I could make most IR's work by adjusting the SPKR page. I just don't have those skills yet. And trial and error by ear, for me, has given mixed results.

I would agree - I still sometimes remind myself to mess with this to help with especially my poweramp/cab side of things. Typically I don't notice as much need for the direct FOH sound. What's interesting is how tube amps are able to do this automatically.

My theory is, auditioning IR's, when you find an IR that happens to match the default settings of the AMP block SPKR page, it sounds better.

If I had better skills, I could make most IR's work by adjusting the SPKR page. I just don't have those skills yet. And trial and error by ear, for me, has given mixed results.

I also thinks this is what happens a lot.

This IMO is a rabbit hole. It really is best to use your ears. You can hear (and feel) when you are getting close the resonant frequency of whatever cab, real or IR. Sweeping the Low RF on the speaker tab will get you in the right place. I will say that you do need to do this with some volume. I know this isn't what you're probably wanting to hear, but in this world of digital modeling, you aren't always bound by the same rules that apply in the real world. exploit that fact. I believe Cliff has said that the default LF resonance for combo amps has been set to the RF of that cab and for heads, the RF is defaulted to the cabinet/speakers most likely used with that head. That should be real close if you're looking for the matched set accuracy. If you want to try, and use other cabs/speakers with that amp model, then sweep the knob my friend. You will find what you are looking for with a little effort.

Curious about this as well..

My approach w/ IRs these days is to try and match the amp model to the typical (or exact, when available) matching cab model. So a 4x10 Bassman cab matched to the '59 Bassguy amp model, etc. As mentioned my muddrock above, I think Cliff mentioned in the past that the settings in each amp default to the typical specs found in an amps matching cab.. or thereabouts.

In the end I just trust my ears and go with what sounds good. I don't currently mess w/ the settings in the Amp Speaker Page..

manufacturer's figure is for the speaker alone. I guess that adding the 10Hz accounts for the cab's contribution to where the resonant frequency lies.

Based on what other people have said in the past, the value should usually sit between 100Hz and 120Hz

...but not always.
I once had an OS recto 412 that measured in the mid-high 60's. Muddy as fuuuu.

Just this week while trying to clone my old rig I measured my open back combo with a 15" JBL E130 - the resonance was 40Hz! Actually it does sound great...

Back
Top Bottom