Dialing Out High Gain Unwanted String Noise

bulgmaf

Inspired
I'm sure the tendency would be to say, "It's all in your playing technique." But I swear that some high gain tones/presets promote unwanted string noise and some high gain tones/presets serve to dampen it. What I'm wondering is which settings (amp block, cab block, gain pedals, etc) have an effect on limiting unwanted string noise (besides the obvious gate block)? If the formula is more gain = more noise, then what can be done in response to increased gain so that unwanted string noise is lessened?

Please post clips showing the differences between the two high gain sounds, I'm interested to hear what you mean.

Please post clips showing the differences between the two high gain sounds, I'm interested to hear what you mean.
I don’t really have specific presets in mind right now, just a general question. I can probably try to dig up something later.

I struggle with pick squeaking on hi-gain presets, pretty sure it's my technique tho. You can search for the offending frequencies with a para eq and notch them out.

String noise means poor muting of non-played strings, which is defo technique (or too much gain).

If you play a guitar with a regular nut (as in not a locking nut) hi gain can cause you to hear noise from the strings above the nut. You could get a fret wrap or a hair tie or just use a piece of tape to mute the strings above the nut. Or maybe this isn't the problem at all.:blush:

If you play a guitar with a regular nut (as in not a locking nut) hi gain can cause you to hear noise from the strings above the nut. You could get a fret wrap or a hair tie or just use a piece of tape to mute the strings above the nut. Or maybe this isn't the problem at all.:blush:
Worth trying. I’ll check it out!

I struggled with finger scrape on high gain tones. no matter how I adjusted my technique on fast chord passages, it was inescapable. Then I found Dean Markley Helix strings, they dramatically reduced the noise. But alas, they stopped making them.
If the noise is scraping on the wound strings, maybe a coated set would help alleviate the problem.

I'm sure the tendency would be to say, "It's all in your playing technique." But I swear that some high gain tones/presets promote unwanted string noise and some high gain tones/presets serve to dampen it. What I'm wondering is which settings (amp block, cab block, gain pedals, etc) have an effect on limiting unwanted string noise (besides the obvious gate block)? If the formula is more gain = more noise, then what can be done in response to increased gain so that unwanted string noise is lessened?
I put a piece of soft velcro under my strings between the nut and tuning keys but also I turn down the presence and a little highs or even back off the gain and that helps me.

You'll usually find that the high-gain tones that don't promote string noise use less gain than the high-gain tones that do. ;)
Maybe it’s that simple. Kind of like a good AC/DC tone has less gain than a lot of people think.

Back
Top Bottom