Dialing in the low end

There are a lot of ways to tweak the low end between the amp and cab blocks. High cut and low cut in the cab block can help shape a tone. I find that I occasionally have to go into the speaker page of the amp block and experiment with the low res or the Q. Not very often, but there are some amps that are supremely bassy. Of course a different IR is a game changer too.

As far as the question about presence and depth settings it really varies from amp to amp. On some amps the presence has a significant impact on the clarity, especially the high end. Other amps it does nothing. Depth I rarely have past 2 or 3, if I'm even using it. At the end of the day there are just a lot of factors on tone and it requires some experimenting and some patience.

@Tahoebrian5 I think you've gotten a lot of good advice. However, (don't shoot me guys!) it's all a crap shoot unless:

1. We can hear the sound

2. Use the gear you have

You can get 500 people telling you great things to try. You mention bass but don't mention the artifacts you may be getting and haven't been able to define where the mud is coming from. Understand what I'm saying?

To further explain, certain low end frequencies will destroy your tone. You will not only get bass mud, but you'll start to get that horrible "whoomfing" artifact we can get with high gain tones. Low mids can do this too!

So many things play into what you may be hearing. I literally could write up 6 pages telling you so many things to try, I'd probably confuse you. Lol! I'd love to hear a version of the sound that you don't like that you feel has issues.

The problem there is...if this is something live where you use a sound that changes when you run it into a cab, hearing the sound direct out of the axe will not help. You'd have to mic it properly and record it to let us hear it if that is the case.

For example, if I shared my live sound without my greenback cab, the direct sound straight out of my axe fx would be loaded with bass. But through my cab, this bass is not there.

Just for your head...here are a few things that may help you with high gain sounds.

1. Gain. Too much gain to where a sound trips over itself will ruin the sound in seconds. Most of your hero's are using less gain than you think they are. The less you can play with, the cleaner and better the guitar will cut through the mix/band.

2. The difference between high end treble and gain: a lot of guys use too much gain when in reality, a light treble boost in the right area can give you the appearance of more gain than you are actually using. The problem here is some people over do it and end up with a razor sharp sound that has no definition and is all sizzle. Everything in moderation.

Frequencies like 3k to about 8k can help here. 10k and above will give you what I like to call "air sizzle". They are not as apparent as the others, but can help.

3. Bass frequency selection: like recording/mixing, the right frequencies can make a huge difference. The problem here is, being able to identify what you need or don't need. A guy sitting here telling you to cut or boost something is oblivious to what YOU may be hearing if he hasn't heard the sound.

Example, if your tone is razor sharp and is lacking good bass, and you don't know what is considered good bass, the guy telling you to low cut 150Hz on down, may be stripping out good stuff that isn't there enough to begin with. So starting points from people that have not heard the sound are moot.

Keeping in mind that most guys have too much bass in their tone, being a little more educated about what is good and bad bass can really help.

In my opinion, anything under 80Hz sounds bad to me in a guitar tone. Frequencies from 70 on down bring in sub low artifacts that walk on top of bass guitar and mud up your tone. Lightly they may help, but I've always kept away from that low stuff for guitars. Some like that stuff. I've never had any luck.

Frequencies from 80 - 160Hz can really help you but can also kill you if you go too crazy.

If you look at our 8 band amp eq....80 Hz can give you a little speaker push. Too much and you lose. 120 can help, but too much and when you chug an A it will whoomf and sound like crap. All this of course depends on lots of things like amp you choose, as well as the cab and how much or how little eq it may have.

Quick example....the 2x12 cabs usually have way less low end nasty bass than our 4x12 impulse cabs. It's a matter of just knowing what to do and when.

That said, without knowing what is or what is not in your sound, no one can tell you what to cut or boost. The most important thing you can do, is to learn to identify frequencies. This way you can hear something and in seconds, know what to touch.

4. Always try to eq your effects like chorus, reverb, flange and anything that offers a low cut or high cut. Effects tend to accentuate low end by default. I just put up a new video in my Haas effect thread near the last page that addresses a bit of this so you can hear how much it can really affect things.

So keep some of this is mind. It can really help you. Watch for frequencies from 200 to 350. Too much in that area and you can get mud too. Removing some stuff in those areas can really help if you are hearing low mid congestion or artifacts. Again though...you have to determine if the area is a problem or not before you cut or boost.

Best of luck...and if you want to post a sound for me to listen to where I can give you some insight, feel free. Quite a few on here would be able to help you and put you in the right place. :)
A needed dose of reality.

"My soup tastes like crap. How do I fix it?"

"Before I answer that, let me taste your soup."

Ya I know. This is more of a help educate me thread, than a fix my tone thread and I appreciate all responses. And like I mentioned earlier, my soup is actually quite tasty, but I'm not yet satisfied. I spent a bunch of time experimenting yesterday and two things are seeming promising and I will be trying them out at my next practice. First, I picked a very similar but brighter ir and mixed in a bit using a stereo cab. The second thing, and this seems very powerful, is the definition parameter in the amp block. This is basically a tilt eq and a little bit goes a long way. This can easily turn a dark sound into a bright sound. I'm going to have to see how it works at practice but this might do the trick.

My next goal is to get the flavor of the sizzle a bit deeper if that makes sense. To me the sizzle on the leading edge of notes almost has a wah quality to it and to me it sounds like my tone needs more heel. I'm likely not making sense now.. More coffee needed

I'll try to figure out how to get an audio clip up

Ya I know. This is more of a help educate me thread, than a fix my tone thread and I appreciate all responses. And like I mentioned earlier, my soup is actually quite tasty, but I'm not yet satisfied. I spent a bunch of time experimenting yesterday and two things are seeming promising and I will be trying them out at my next practice. First, I picked a very similar but brighter ir and mixed in a bit using a stereo cab. The second thing, and this seems very powerful, is the definition parameter in the amp block. This is basically a tilt eq and a little bit goes a long way. This can easily turn a dark sound into a bright sound. I'm going to have to see how it works at practice but this might do the trick.

My next goal is to get the flavor of the sizzle a bit deeper if that makes sense. To me the sizzle on the leading edge of notes almost has a wah quality to it and to me it sounds like my tone needs more heel. I'm likely not making sense now.. More coffee needed

I'll try to figure out how to get an audio clip up

So true on definition. Be careful with it though as it can sometimes make your tone a little too bright and synthetic. For me, it has made my AX8 sound more like my XL+. The XL+ is just warmer to my ears, using the exact same preset. Whatever or however that is happening, taking the definition down by -3 or -2 takes the little bit of high end away that has been annoying me.

As for you making sense....yes, I totally get you. Sometimes mouthing, sounding out your experience or explaining like you did is super helpful. If you heard half the sounds I make with my mouth to teach my students what to listen for, it's part "oh man, YES I can hear that" part "dude, you're a lunatic and border-line insane!" :)

In my experience, the half open wah thing comes by way of three animals. (IMHO)

1. My go to amp has changed in FW 7 beta 2. I'm getting that almost wah artifact out of it while running my normal cab I always run. Changing the cab helps slightly, but getting rid of that amp and using another helped it completely. I'd suggest changing your amp OR....

2. The second thing to bring on that sound....treble boost pedal in the drive block. That is the exact artifact of too much toe in my opinion. If you are using that in your drive block, edit it or use another drive.

3. Strats/guitars with single coil pups: Sometimes single coil pups really behave strangely when using certain amps and certain cabs. Add in a major amp update or amp alteration, and you can really hear some stuff for "the different".

Your best bet when dialing in tone, is to keep effects totally out. My go to sound creation set up is:

Compressor set to off
Drive of choice set to off
Amp
Cab

I tweak the amp with the cab to see if I like how it behaves. I rarely use the compressor or drive pedal to try and enhance an amp that doesn't stand on its own. Once I find an amp and cab that give me the stuff I'm looking for, then I'll experiment with the right drive block and then mess with the compressor to control the impact of the drive. This has worked wonders for me in both creating my own sounds, as well as sounds for other people. Best of luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom