Dialing in the AXE and Atomic CLR volume levels

Is there a procedure you guys follow when dialing in the volume levels of an AXE with a powered CLR monitor?

There are two knobs on the CLR; "Input MIN-MAX" and "Master MIN-MAX".

There are "Output Levels" on the Axe front panel MIN-MAX.

I've noticed BOTH my AXE and CLR have clipping indicators...

I'm guessing the best method would be to first set the clipping levels on the AXE and to then proceed to the CLR?..

Thanks for any help in advance!

Axe output must never ever clip. Then set Axe's output knob to loudest you want, I use 12 a clock. Adjust the CLR input to as loud as you can, so that the input red light never lights at all. Then use the master to get the volume you want.

With your preset set to it's quietest setting, no boosts / drives / etc., use the new Utility menu VU page to set up your preset so it averages around "0".

Now engage any boosts / drives / level changes in the preset and check to make sure your loudest setting does not clip.

I like to have some room to increase the Out 1 front panel knob so I put Out 1 about 75% up, with your preset in its loudest setting, adjust the CLR input until it just starts to clip then back off the CLR input a little bit.

Then I back down the Out 1 knob to 50%

Now adjust the CLR master to the desired volume.

This way I can increase the Out 1 knob somewhat and I know I won't clip the CLR.

Back
Top Bottom