Dialing in live tone

kevrock

Experienced
I'm talkin about a good high gain tone I know that I need to be at volume to do it correctly. I was just wondering what some of your tricks to make sure it cuts good when I don't have a bass and drummer around. Do u play along with CDs. Cuz if I try to do it on my own I always love the tone but love it gets lost. Cuz I'm instinctively cutting mids when I "bedroom jam". Any advice. Thanks.
Ps I don't crank my gain.

I'm fortunate enough to have our PA and Digital Desk (complete will multitrack live recordings) when I decide to have a 'dialling in' session. With everything either being sampled or run through specific presets on dedicated processors, it is totally consistent and as such, that makes a massive difference when working on sounds (same goes for drum or vocal tweaks etc)

It's not a simple or cheap set up - and probably isn't much help to you kevrock - but my god, it doesn't half help and I'd hate to have to 'guess'!

Last edited:
You are on it. Increase your mids and lighten up the compression if you use it. Has a tendency to squash your tone. Sometimes a little grit or flipping to the bridge position will clear things up.

I have found that playing to tracks is mostly hit and miss for dialing in a Live tone for the very reason you mentioned. It will give an idea but if you turne it up it will sound thin and won't cut at all. Tuning in this manor sometimes you need to add bass and mids in order to be heard in a live mix at volume other times you need a whole different preset.

Back
Top Bottom