Dialing in Fender-ish Semi-clean and Cranked Tones

rrogers

Inspired
These are the two tones I am having trouble dialing in. I can get the top and middle end sounding ok, but I am hearing an annoying "buzz" type of breakup on the tails of notes played in the lower register. This happens regardless of monitoring solution (real cabinets, studio-type monitors, PA speaker), and I have made sure to check the obvious stuff (cab models turned on or off as appropriate, etc.).

The amp models I experience this with are all based on Fenders, so I am wondering if it is simply a characteristics of the actual amps. Using different IRs and EQ settings does have an effect on how much of the "buzz" after effect on each note I hear.

I am running FW19.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an obvious solution I should try?

I may have to create some type of file sharing account so I can record it to show what I am talking about.

OK-I'll be the first to say it - Really need a soundclip.

Also, have you checked the multitude of fender tweed, Doubleverb (Twin) and bassman clips on this forum? Do you hear the noise you are talking about?

All I hear is a beautiful fender-clean-then breaking up beautifully. Look for clips by Tyler Grund, ML (alias clark Kent, Cainer, Simeon, and more, lots of fender clips. Sounding so good -

Not saying you are not hearing noise but your post is one of the most common post for folks new to the axe......So if you could post a clip you'd get a ton of suggestions.

Otherwise you will get a ton of questions

HTH

Do you hear this with the drive turned way down too? And no other clean amp (other than Fender) does this no matter the monitor? 1st thing I thought of was reload the firmware. Then do you use a mixer (or other audio gadget in the path) before all the monitors you have tried? Are you using the same channel if so for the Fenders vs other amps? Please describe your setup and post a clip if possible.

Last edited:
Some of the fender amps modeled actually don't have master volumes. If I am using a model that I know doesn't have one, then I will turn the master to about 8 to eliminate unwanted overdrive, turn the input gain between 3 to 4, and set the overall "level" to a relative decibel range. At this point I find the controls to be much more like the original amps. It seems to help get rid of unwanted flubby, low end muddiness, IMO.

Download the preset of the Bassman in the "Which tone is hardest to get..." thread. It is SMOKING and an amazing clean Fendery sound. I've been playing it non stop for two days. I also tweaked it a bit for a dirtier sound and WOWZA. Incredible.

I have dialed in a killer tone with the Princeton Reverb, I will post a clip tomorrow for you. I believe you will love it. I will also share the preset.

Some of the fender amps modeled actually don't have master volumes. If I am using a model that I know doesn't have one, then I will turn the master to about 8 to eliminate unwanted overdrive, turn the input gain between 3 to 4, and set the overall "level" to a relative decibel range. At this point I find the controls to be much more like the original amps. It seems to help get rid of unwanted flubby, low end muddiness, IMO.

why not leave the master at 10 and keep the gain lower? that would be more in keeping with the actual amp?

(just an honest question, do what sounds best to you, obviously)

why not leave the master at 10 and keep the gain lower? that would be more in keeping with the actual amp?

(just an honest question, do what sounds best to you, obviously)
Personal I have noticed a little overdrive with the master on 10. With the master on 8 the input drive gives a more acurate simulation of the volume control on a champ or super reverb. Just my opinion.

You might try the Blues Jr. Very smooth.

Also, try experimenting with turning the Sag to 0 (yes, turning the power amp modeling off...yes, even if you're running FRFR) I've done this a number of times where I couldn't get rid of the fizzy-ness, and it worked wonders. You'll need to make adjustments to your other parameters as well as soon as you do, but it might get you what you're looking for.

From working on my Plexi (a real one), I found that clean tone improved substantially with less Negative FeedBack (NFB) for my preferences. It tended to thicken the sound without making it muddy - it also helped make the amp feel more loose (which was nice considering how 'stiff' I made the power supply cct.). YMMV.

yeah, less negative feedback makes it feel spongier/more touch sensitive. funnily enough I was in GC today and was playing a strat though one of the new 68 Vibrolux reissues. on the top of the amp on the little info card it stated it was made with less negative feedback to increase touch sensitivity.

These are the two tones I am having trouble dialing in. I can get the top and middle end sounding ok, but I am hearing an annoying "buzz" type of breakup on the tails of notes played in the lower register. This happens regardless of monitoring solution (real cabinets, studio-type monitors, PA speaker), and I have made sure to check the obvious stuff (cab models turned on or off as appropriate, etc.).

The amp models I experience this with are all based on Fenders, so I am wondering if it is simply a characteristics of the actual amps. Using different IRs and EQ settings does have an effect on how much of the "buzz" after effect on each note I hear.

I am running FW19.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an obvious solution I should try?

I may have to create some type of file sharing account so I can record it to show what I am talking about.

Give my 'Super Super Reverb' a listen:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Super Super Reverb - by plyall

One is factory 100 - no special settings (4x10 Super Reverb Mix). The other is a free IR 'TEH Shure SM57 A1' from Clark Kent (now ML Labs). It's included in the below preset+CAB .syx file:

Attachments

• Super Super Reverb.syx
    17 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the suggestions - Putting the master on 8 and dialing back the negative feedback helped considerably. I also dialed back me input gain some.

Personal I have noticed a little overdrive with the master on 10. With the master on 8 the input drive gives a more acurate simulation of the volume control on a champ or super reverb. Just my opinion.

I agree.

I switched to lowering the master trim a little vs. the master. I just wanted the master to stay on 10 for non-master amps like Fenders. Just for consistency.

I also lower the input trim vs. input to compensate for different pickups.

Back
Top Bottom