Dialing in a good 8 string tone?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently running an RG 2228 w/ EMG 808's to an XL plus and have never been able to get a good tone from the bottom note. The guitar has a 27 inch scale and I'm running an .80 gauge string on the bottom. My low notes always end up coming out flubby and muddy. Any 8 string users have any tips such as a good amp/cab combination, etc?

Raise the amp block low cut parameter until the flub is under control. Then, add bass back post gain (amp block graphic EQ, cab block, EQ blocks after amp, etc.).

You can also try using a crossover to route the low frequencies to a separate lower gain amp for better clarity as well. Lets you keep the huge low end without it flubbing out.

As mr_fender said, plus you might try out following amp models: Friedman (H)BE, CA TripTik Modern, 5153, FAS Modern, PVH 6160 block and + (list incomplete). Use the CUT switch located under the bass knob if necessary.
If you use the Mesa Boogie Mark-series, use the FAT switch, set the bass knob far below 1 and mid below 4. Add bass in the EQ-tab of the AMP-block.

Back
Top Bottom