DI track not time aligned with processed track when recording into DAW

Just a quick question. I am noticing that the when I record with the AXE FX (II mark 2) using the Axe FX as an interface and recording through USB, the DI track is always lagging behind the processed track. It seems that the DAW (Reaper in this case) is compensating for latency with the processed track and not with the DI track. Is this behaviour by design or have I got something setup incorrectly? If it is behaving as intended what is the reason for it being like this? Also if I use these DI tracks to then go back into the AXE FX and record the output again will the newly processed recorded track be aligned with the DI track or with the previously processed tracks?

There does seem to be some variable latency reporting issues with Fractal gear via USB, but it's odd that you're getting different alignment on two simultaneous tracks. As far as I know, Reaper should be using the same latency compensation for all of the incoming tracks. I don't recall any way to control that per track.

When reamping, the new track should align to the DI track. If the DI is late, so too will be the reamped track.

Interesting... I just setup a DI into my DAW after setting up wireless in my studio. I got sick of the cord getting twisted. Anyway, I had an extra Line 6 G10s wireless that needed a new transmitter. I bought a new one and utilized the DI out directly to my interface. I will check if I have latency between the two. I know mine is different situation as I am not using USB.

Just a quick question. I am noticing that the when I record with the AXE FX (II mark 2) using the Axe FX as an interface and recording through USB, the DI track is always lagging behind the processed track. It seems that the DAW (Reaper in this case) is compensating for latency with the processed track and not with the DI track. Is this behaviour by design or have I got something setup incorrectly? If it is behaving as intended what is the reason for it being like this? Also if I use these DI tracks to then go back into the AXE FX and record the output again will the newly processed recorded track be aligned with the DI track or with the previously processed tracks?
Personally, I've never seen the latency compensation problem that is common on the Axe-FX III when using the Axe-FX II, but in any case, it's hard to see how the DI would lag behind the processed track. I would guess it's an issue with the way you are recording? How much is the lag?

Going through my audio interface I have no latency between the DI and recorded signal. I have a RME Fireface 802 for my interface.

I am going through the same issue. I record straight from the AFX 3 from Input 1, USB, into my Apple M1 Max Studio, with low latency selected in Logic Pro X. My buffer is at 32 and the theoretical latency round trip is only 7ms. Yet, my direct track lags over ¼ a second behind the recorded track.

Also, if I record a direct dry track from my Apollo Quad interface, and it’s accurate to the click, when I really from/to the Fractal, I get ¼ second lag.

It’s so frustrating. When I play, there is no perceived lag. But when I record or remap, despite the live no lag while playing, it prints with substantial lag, even with low latency on.

Please help!

I am going through the same issue. I record straight from the AFX 3 from Input 1, USB, into my Apple M1 Max Studio, with low latency selected in Logic Pro X. My buffer is at 32 and the theoretical latency round trip is only 7ms. Yet, my direct track lags over ¼ a second behind the recorded track.

Also, if I record a direct dry track from my Apollo Quad interface, and it’s accurate to the click, when I really from/to the Fractal, I get ¼ second lag.

It’s so frustrating. When I play, there is no perceived lag. But when I record or remap, despite the live no lag while playing, it prints with substantial lag, even with low latency on.

Please help!

That is a known bug in the Axe-FX III:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...rding-due-to-usb-latency-compensation.181686/

That is a known bug in the Axe-FX III:
Thank you for reading and responding GlennO. I will study the articles you've provided and see if I can make the timing of the reamped track accurately align with the DI track.

I will post some screenshots and more detail, too.

Here is a detailed description of my approach and setup and various parameters for reamping. My goal is to have the reamped tracks easily align with the DI track.

I have tried three approaches to reamping, and all three meet with the same result: the DI/dry signal tracks are solid and aligned, and the reamped track sounds great and responds to the adjusted amp, IR, and effects parameters.

The problem is a consistent lag when recording the DI track to the would-be new reamped track. It is consistently around a quarter of a second behind the DI track.

To illustrate this, I locked a simple eighth-note pattern on the DI track to the grid, and you can see the lines on the indicators.

You can see how the reamped tracks consistently lag behind the DI track.

My Setup:
I run my AFX3 into my M1 Max Studio’s USB port and run S/PIDF from my machine to a Universal Audio Apollo 8 Thunderbolt (black model). The DAW is Logic Pro X, running the Monterrey operating system.

I record with a 48kHz sample rate and the lowest buffer, and with the low latency function.

When I play, it feels really live and has no latency. When I track, my playing lines up with the beats and clicks.

I’ve used the USB block approach with the 7-8 output feeding the reamped track and it sounds great. I’ve done the same with the current owner’s manual approach where I change Digital Input Source to “USB/CHANNELS 5/6” and change Input 1 Source to “DIGITAL” and Software/Input Monitoring is NOT enabled.

The I/O buffer size is small, and the recording delay is at zero samples. The Output latency is 1.2ms and the roundtrip latency is 7.6ms. The lag in the reamped tracks is larger than this.

And two other approaches. All of them meet with the same result with a small lag in the reamped tracks.

What can be done to have the reamped track line up exactly with the DI track?

I had this exact same problem with my previous machine, the 2013 Mac Pro.

Some threads mention approaches with setting up pings to use to offset the latency but I’d rather not do that for every chunk of audio that gets reamped. And I see lower quality gear do this just fine.

I’ll be grateful for anyone’s time who can help me figure this out! ; )

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.02.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.02.04 PM.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.02.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.02.49 PM.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.13.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.13.23 PM.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom