DI recording thru the Axe

jiggajewjay

Inspired
Hey y'all - have a question. I am tracking guitars tonight for a very large project and i wanted to make sure that i do this the best way. I don't want to paint the client into a corner so i don't want to only record the Axe signal but also want to record dry tracks so that i can re-amp it later on if necessary. Here is my question. i understand that i can easily set the Axe as the audio interface instead of my RME UFX interface and track both wet and dry tracks on separate tracks in my DAW (Ableton Live). however i noticed that the Axe produces a really quiet dry track and HERE is my question.... i own several really high end preamps. should i just use an A/B box and send one to the Axe (wet) and one to the better preamp. this way i can use a more robust signal when i reamp... is that a good idea or a bad one... basically is that super quiet (barely any transients) dry signal from the Axe the ideal signal to send to the Axe for re-amping? or is any signal okay ?? thanks!

Last edited:
The signal from axe usb is perfect for reamping, the level matches so that the result is exactly the same vs. playing guitar into the axe. It's 24bits, so being 20db down from the highest possible levels is no big deal. Recording higher level means that you have to attenuate it at some point while reamping.

The DI signal from the Axe, as low as it is, is perfect for reamping. No further processing required before you send it back.
I have compared reamping the Axe DI signal with reamping DI signals from my audio interface (Steinberg UR28M) and a Universal Audio 2-610 tube pre. Both DI signals of the Steinberg and the UA were much hotter than the Axe's DI signal. Reamping the Steinberg DI sounded much worse than the DI signal from the Axe or the UA. The Axe and UA DI signals were almost on par, the UA having added a slight tube sparkle that was pleasant. Bottom line, the signal strength of the Axe DI was not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom