DI level differs between guitars

Slammin Mofo

Inspired
I'm using the Axe FX II via USB in my DAW (Logic Pro X) and I chose the Axe FX II as my audio device for both input and output with a buffer of 128. Project Sample Size is set to 48 kHz and I'm using the latest USB driver.

To get a mono DI track, I use Input 3 and output 1+2. The DI level I'm getting with my Les Paul guitar peaks at -8 dB and the DI level of my SG guitar peaks at -13 dB. Is this normal? The wiki says that the DI level should be constant no matter what guitar I'm using, don't know why it differs in my case. I use no pedals in front of the axe and no plugins etc. in the DAW. I know I've set the Input level of the instrument input correctly (the guitar barely tickles the red dots) but that shouldn't influence the DI level either way...

As post 2 mentioned, it's normal. Differences in output level between guitars will be seen in the DI level.

Which wiki page are you referring to?

Yep, if the input level was always the same, you would have no dynamics in your playing at all. Setting the input level just keeps the peaks from clipping the input converters. The signal level still follows the guitars output level exactly.

The wiki refers to the fact that you cannot adjust the DI level directly via the Axe. There are no settings for it. It insures that the signal you send back through the Axe when reamping is the exact same level as the signal that originally came from your guitar.

Last edited:
So it's normal to get DI tracks with -8dB peaks?

Just one question: should i set output 1+2 to just 1 in order to get a centered mono output? or is the output automatically mono if the input has been set to input 3 only?

If you have the Axe's input mode set to stereo in the I/O menu, USB Input 3 = Left input & USB Input 4 = Right input

If it's set to Left only, either front panel input or rear left input jacks, USB inputs 3 & 4 are identical copies of the left input.

Each USB input is a mono channel. In order to record a stereo DI track, you would need to select both corresponding inputs (inputs 3 & 4) in your DAW. Unless you are running a stereo signal through the Axe, like with a keyboard or two different guitars or something, there's no point in recording both DI channels. Just select input 3 and your DAW should automatically record a mono track with only one input selected.

Last edited:
Just one question: should i set output 1+2 to just 1 in order to get a centered mono output? or is the output automatically mono if the input has been set to input 3 only?

Assuming you mean for reamping, it usually won't matter. If the Axe is set for left only input mode, it will only use channel 1.

Back
Top Bottom