DI Clipping??

I just got an AXE FX III last week, and so far I‘m really happy with it. However, I have a question about the DI level. When I use a preset with just input 1 straight to output 1 with nothing in between I can hear clipping in my DI signal. Also, I have the digital output set to output 1 using USB to go into my DAW, and the waveform of my DI signal is huge, with obvious clipping. I have my input 1 level set to just “tickle” the red just like the manual says, but I’m still getting all this clipping. In fact, the only way I seem to be able to get rid of the clipping is if I set the input 1 level all the way to 0%. The manual says not to go below 5%. I contacted Fractal Support and they told me it was normal to have clipping in my DI signal even when using very low output pickups. That doesn’t sound right to me. Am I crazy?

The Output 1 & 2 blocks add something like 18 dB of level to your DI signal when you do that.

The easiest way to get a DI at the correct level is to record USB channel 5. But if you need to record a DI from USB 1/2 for some reason, you can just reduce level in the Output 1 block.

The Output 1 & 2 blocks add something like 18 dB of level to your DI signal when you do that.

The easiest way to get a DI at the correct level is to record USB channel 5. But if you need to record a DI from USB 1/2 for some reason, you can just reduce level in the Output 1 block.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll give that a shot. Unfortunately I won’t be able to try until tomorrow because I‘m out of town right now. So, is it normal then to hear audible clipping in the dry signal if I’m using a preset like I mentioned before (output 1 straight to output 2) even when the meters on the front panel don’t show clipping? I get that I’m hearing a boosted signal this way, but why then would a regular preset with an amp and cab not also be clipping? Isn’t it also boosted? Sorry if I’m asking dumb questions. I’m just new to this and would like to understand.

No it is not normal to hear clipping. Record a DI via USB input 5 and zoom way in on the waveform in your DAW and check for flat tops. If you find them, reduce your input level in the I/O menu and repeat until the clipping is gone. In a normal preset the amp block compensates for the 18 dB boost the OUT1 and OUT2 blocks add.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom