Devin Townsend

I want to like Devin, he seems like a very interesting musician, the video looks cool, but each time I watch his videos I can't help but feel that his music keeps on slowly meandering like a big river, and I'm missing a hook that grabs me.

Maybe one day I'll get it. It took me many years but eventually I did manage to get Pink Floyd too.

Devin Townsend is the modern era version of Todd Rundgren.
I assume that is a compliment of the highest order............tho I have felt that Todd for the most part, has always strived to be the modern era version of Todd Rundgren......probly to the dismay of the music moguls who thought they had a hit making machine like Elton on their hands.......

Reactions: yek
First time I met Devin was when he was with Steve Vai (Sex & Religion). At that time I thought: what a singer! (and nice person too)
Now I have to say: what a musician!!! (and he's still a very nice people!!!)

Todd's biggest roadblock to success is Todd. Utopia finally got chart play with Adventures in Utopia, and the next album was Deface the Music with Beatles-copy-songs... Now, Devin is no really going for the top-20 chart albums which is fine. But usually an artist's biggest enemy is an artist that wants each album to be different.

First time I met Devin was when he was with Steve Vai (Sex & Religion). At that time I thought: what a singer! (and nice person too)
Now I have to say: what a musician!!! (and he's still a very nice people!!!)

Got to meet him at the Minneapolis CD release party for the VAI album. Really, really good guy. Also really tall. So is Vai. Then again, I'm 5' 5". So most people are tall to me.

Devin is a bit of an acquired taste for some of his music. There is lots of fillers like 5 minutes of ambient sounds then crushing guitars out of nowhere. He has so many different styles and is currently and has for a long time been my favorite singer songwriter.
This new album is a monster of an album. He has far outdone himself in a very good way. The song singularity is some of the best music I have ever heard. I cry tears of joy and I'm a 48 year old man. I have not been moved by music line this in years maybe ever. Vai plays on this song I'm pretty sure too. What a killer combo.

Devs music is always evolving and I too thought he was losing himself for a little while. I'm not a huge fan of deconstruction or ziltoid 2. But Sky Blue was pure magic.

I recently stumbled across a recent post where Devin shared his latest Axe fx patch. I paired it with the Valhal ir's and I can't put my guitar down. It doesn't sound like his album sounds because there is no delay or reverb in the patch and who knows what else he is using but it's a great starting point. Got me loving the 5153 for the first time.

Omfg just stop lol. Now I'm really jealous. That would be so freaking cool. I have met Devin a few times after his shows. The guy is so modest. I don't think he realises how tallanted he is. He spent almost a half an hour one time shooting the breeze with my wife and two sons and myself. We got lots of pics. He stayed for 2 hours talking with the fans for free. No vip passes or anything. What a cool guy.

My screen name Decimator is a song from Strapping Young Lad from The New Black album. I think that was some of Devs better work during that era. I know others including Devin have said it's not Strappings best stuff but I agree to disagree.

Omfg just stop lol. Now I'm really jealous. That would be so freaking cool. I have met Devin a few times after his shows. The guy is so modest. I don't think he realises how tallanted he is. He spent almost a half an hour one time shooting the breeze with my wife and two sons and myself. We got lots of pics. He stayed for 2 hours talking with the fans for free. No vip passes or anything. What a cool guy.
Yeah... Very cool guy for sure. He is very creative and his session with Matt was so cool, fun and inspiring.

Some of his intense vocals during that performance were just mind blowing.

I think the picture values captures that.

Devin is also a forum member and posted a couple really cool threads a while back on his Fractal journey.

Devin is a bit of an acquired taste for some of his music. There is lots of fillers like 5 minutes of ambient sounds then crushing guitars out of nowhere. He has so many different styles and is currently and has for a long time been my favorite singer songwriter.
This new album is a monster of an album. He has far outdone himself in a very good way. The song singularity is some of the best music I have ever heard. I cry tears of joy and I'm a 48 year old man. I have not been moved by music line this in years maybe ever. Vai plays on this song I'm pretty sure too. What a killer combo.

Devs music is always evolving and I too thought he was losing himself for a little while. I'm not a huge fan of deconstruction or ziltoid 2. But Sky Blue was pure magic.

I recently stumbled across a recent post where Devin shared his latest Axe fx patch. I paired it with the Valhal ir's and I can't put my guitar down. It doesn't sound like his album sounds because there is no delay or reverb in the patch and who knows what else he is using but it's a great starting point. Got me loving the 5153 for the first time.

I can’t stop listening to Ocean Machine. However the new album is amazing but know that it takes a little while to really “get it”. And there is something just completely joyful about “Borderlands” when he sings “Shine on for Borderlands” and the guitars start at 1:36.

Back
Top Bottom