Devin Townsend NAMM 2020

Morphine

Experienced
Decided to try and build a preset based on the tones (primarily the echo) in this video from NAMM. It's a bit different than the GP-100 based sound.

The clean scene is there but haven't messed with that too much. No wah yet either. I feel the echo is pretty close, but I can't seem to get that long repeat of the previous note without adding the 2nd delay after the reverb. If anyone tweaks it and gets closer, please share :).

Enjoy!

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7656

Attachments

• Devin Townsend 2020 (B).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 59
Cheaper version was shown at namm. Black, flame veneer. Met Dev, really cool dude, talked for about ten minutes about all kinds of stuff.

How much less good is the one I posted above?

Haha, I don't think it's a "less good" scenario.

I own the one you posted. The "Teambuilt" model which is made in Germany just like the Masterbuilt and Customshop models are.

From what I can tell, the primary differences between the Teambuilt and the Masterbuilt version are the MB/CS versions have rounded fret ends and wooden cavity covers on the rear. Aside from those two things the rest is just cosmetic stuff like LED work, carbon fiber center, triangle inlay in the body, customized hardware color, different woods for the rainbow one (has a Koa neck and center piece) etc. Quality wise it's pretty much the same guitar otherwise. Made in the same factory, on the same CNC machines, Plek fretwork, etc.

I think the easiest way to describe their product line is like:

PRS SE > PRS Core > PRS Artist Package < PRS Private Stock

Framus D-Series > Framus Teambuilt > Framus Masterbuilt > Framus Customshop.

The biggest jump in price vs. quality is found between the entry level and the next step up. Much less noticeable as you move up from there. If that makes sense.

Their customshop is ridiculously priced. If you want a good laugh, download their pricing PDF. I think the biggest laugh I had was the $430-ish dollar upcharge for a bone nut. :tearsofjoy:

And I still want one ;)

They're really nice guitars. You should give it a go! Provided the Evertune is setup properly, it's a really fun guitar to play.

I bought mine from the Axe Palace (only Framus dealer in the states at the time), but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't purchase from them. Nick sold me the Fishman rechargeable battery pack and charged me an installation fee for it. Shipped the guitar out and THEN notified me that his tech couldn't figure out how to install the rechargeable pack without routing the inside of the cavity (??? All you need to do is take the plastic battery holder in the cavity that's taped in, out, and there's plenty of space.) Said that I should see about getting it installed here and if I couldn't he'd refund me.

I told him that's fine and asked if he would at least refund me the installation price as that didn't happen. He said of course. Never heard from him again and no refund. I followed up a day later and told him that I didn't know when I was going to be able to get the guitar to a tech so I wanted to just return the battery. No response to any emails or calls after that.

His tech also doesn't appear to know how to work with the Evertune. Each string was set to the cusp of zone 1 and 2 when it's supposed to be set on the cusp of 2 and 3. Wasn't properly intonated, action was a mile off the board, and he used mis-matched gauges from different sets of strings rather than the set I requested.

Oh well. I was out about $125 bucks for that. Not the end of the world and a cheap enough way to learn who not to do business with. I'm very much considering purchasing a customshop Framus this year and I definitely won't be spending that money at the Axe Palace.

Ugh, too bad. Never bought from them. Went there once to check out a particular guitar that I don't remember, don't buy. They had some interesting instruments, nothing I could afford that I dug enough. If they had that Framus then,I wouldn't have tried it, because money.

Can't you send a guitar to Evertune and have one installed? I thought I had seen that on their website.

You could, but you'd be looking at around $600 bucks total with shipping/insurance both ways etc. It would also be the G model bridge (to retrofit a Gibson style bridge) instead of the F style Devins guitars have. I'd imagine $2200 into a Chinese guitar doesn't sit well with most folks. Heck, much of the feedback I have seen so far indicates $1600 is asking too much.

I've made some improvements to this one. Tried a different approach with the delays/reverb. I think the dry, hi-gain, and mid-gain tones are in the ballpark. Still haven't played much with the clean.

The first 4 scenes are factory cabs, but I strongly recommend downloading @2112 LT TV Mix 2 IR and dropping it in for scens 5-8. I dunno how many cab packs I have purchased and that IR always comes out on top to my ears.

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=631. - IR

Attachments

• DT NAMM 2020.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 45
I've made some improvements to this one. Tried a different approach with the delays/reverb. I think the dry, hi-gain, and mid-gain tones are in the ballpark. Still haven't played much with the clean.

The first 4 scenes are factory cabs, but I strongly recommend downloading @2112 LT TV Mix 2 IR and dropping it in for scens 5-8. I dunno how many cab packs I have purchased and that IR always comes out on top to my ears.

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?cab=631. - IR

cant wait to try this !

also thank you for continuing to refine your DT patches - they are a real blast to play.

Back
Top Bottom