Devin Townsend GP-100 Sound

Morphine

Experienced
Since I got the Axe-Fx earlier this year I have been trying to get Devin Townsend's GP-100 sound over to the Fractal. Since I am a bit of a novice, it's taken a while to kind of get my head wrapped around certain things.

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7245 - edit Finally attempted a Tonematch and it's pretty indistinguishable to me now edit

Devin used/uses the GP-100 sound blended with a dry amp. Usually a Recto (5150 if you're going for his earlier tone). On its own the GP has kind of a fuzzy/hairy sound to it. He has stated on these forums that for this sound he also has a preset that has the volume ratios reversed for intros (more GP-100 sound, less dry sound). I haven't begun to tackle his dry sound... and not sure if I will haha.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks! I earballed it based on the GP-100 itself (I own one). So not a total shot in the dark lol. I also own the Ocean Machine pedal.

I asked Mr. Matt Picone if he would share the preset he made for Devin based on the GP-100. He promised Devin he wouldn't. But he did indicate that it's only 1 delay. And that's all he would give. Fair enough. Course, he could have just done that to throw me off ;) haha.

he did indicate that it's only 1 delay

1 delay it is! Sounds awesome just the same, did you get those EQ settings from somewhere or is that earballed also? Just ~2 dB of cumulative 3k high shelf between the GEQ+PEQ post amp adds the high end in just the right spot, it's perfect, if you bypass them it goes dull...

Thanks! No problem :)

I've started dabbling with tonematching the GP-100. I probably should have started there in the first place, haha. If I make decent headway I will post it up here.

I will say that the AxeFx is both a dream and a nightmare for folks who get kinda OCD about this stuff.

Stupid Question. When downloading the ToneMatch (or any ToneMatch) I don't seem to get the tone match file or possibly the cab that comes with it. Is there a reference I'm supposed to download? Thanks in advanced.

Stupid Question. When downloading the ToneMatch (or any ToneMatch) I don't seem to get the tone match file or possibly the cab that comes with it. Is there a reference I'm supposed to download? Thanks in advanced.

There's a pretty good chance I am a moron and uploaded it incorrectly. Not sure if the ToneMatch upload is different than the standard preset upload.

Here's the cab of the ToneMatch in any case.

Attachments

• U1.0061_Dev GP-100 Tonematch.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 31
I think Devin would be OK with me telling you that you're pretty close. You need a longer effect times and higher Fx mix though!
Devin's dry sound is a moving target, but still pretty fantastic at any given moment. I have a session with him on Oct 17th. I'll see if he's ready to share anything.

Last edited:
I think Devin would be OK with me telling you that you're pretty close. You need a longer effect times and higher Fx mix though!
Devin's dry sound is a moving target, but still pretty fantastic at any given moment. I have a session with him on Oct 17th. I'll see if he's ready to share anything.

Yeah, I haven't dove down that rabbit hole as intensely as it changes pretty often and it's hard to make sense of whats what when you're hearing it all mixed together. Would be pretty cool if he shared some stuff though!

Modified the preset a bit. Recorded a clip :)

Attachments

• Devin Townsend GP-100 Tonematch.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 42
There's a pretty good chance I am a moron and uploaded it incorrectly. Not sure if the ToneMatch upload is different than the standard preset upload.

Here's the cab of the ToneMatch in any case.
Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

I think for the tone match I might be doing something wrong, because I tried to use Axe-Change to download another preset with a tone match I get a preset with a tone match with an empty reference and local capture. Have you ever come across that problem?

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

I think for the tone match I might be doing something wrong, because I tried to use Axe-Change to download another preset with a tone match I get a preset with a tone match with an empty reference and local capture. Have you ever come across that problem?

I'm still a bit of a noob with the Tonematch stuff (heck with the whole unit in general). When I have downloaded anything with a Tonematch the Reference and Local graphs in the Capture tab have been flat. The Config tab shows me the graph of the capture. I assumed that's just how it is since the Reference is the playback from the audio source you're capturing and the Local is your playing/AxeFx. It's not something that gets saved. The capture is. At least that's how I understand it. I could be wrong. Heck, not even sure if that's what you're asking LOL. Sorry!

I have noticed my export of the Tonematch to a cab, the cab doesn't sound quite the same. I just figured that was my own inexperience with it. It didn't sound right when I dropped it in a Cab block and ditched the Tonematch block.

Here's one I have been building that I have tried to incorporate a dry sound with the wet sound that uses the Tonematch cab. Just drop it into Cab 2 block. Sounds good to me in this context. Made some tweaks to it today.

Attachments

• DT Test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom