Devin Townsend: "Axe-Fx III is my perfect rig"

Cooper Carter

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Really great Axe-Fx III comments from an amazing artist!!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...nd_a_single_axe-fx_iii_is_my_perfect_rig.html

"I have obsessed about my gear for as long as I have been playing and I have finally decided that the Axe-Fx III - a single Axe-Fx III and one as a redundancy - with the FC12 [foot controller] and a single expression pedal is almost without question a perfect rig for me.

"I have now made my own cab sims. I work really closely with Fractal, and have everything that I wanted it to do throughout all my career: the patch changes, the spillovers, different tones, effects, routing, having consistent sound, having something I can travel with, having something that's modular, having something that I can have a reliable backup for, powering my pedalboard without an external power. I just realized over the past six months that this is perfect; this is what I want.

"And it has been very liberating for me after years of assuming that all I needed to do was find a better amp, purchasing some old, crusty, brown-faced Princeton thinking that it is going to get me to that place that I have been dreaming of. It gives me all those tools and I am perfectly happy.”

Yeah ... wasn't someone supposedly going to post "official" presets or cabs by him? Whatever happened to that?

A couple of different things have been posted over the years. To my knowledge though, none of it contained any of the delays/reverbs etc. He said this time it would all be released... not holding my breath ;).

In a nutshell, what sets their approaches apart?
I guess I would say that they approach the tones very artistically. As opposed to saying things like "add some bass and a lot of reverb" they might say "this needs to sound like a grizzly bear growling at the bottom of a canyon".

Or (paraphrasing an example from the session): what would this alien duck minion sound like when talking to the overlord?

I guess I would say that they approach the tones very artistically. As opposed to saying things like "add some bass and a lot of reverb" they might say "this needs to sound like a grizzly bear growling at the bottom of a canyon".

Or (paraphrasing an example from the session): what would this alien duck minion sound like when talking to the overlord?

Brilliant!

In the ThatPedalShow video he was using his pedals very interactively. The new performance page on the Axe might have made the difference...?

He also has his own kickass Fluence Pickups on his signature axe ...definitely part of his current happy place sound.
I concur. (put em on my Boden)

Here's a description of how the FC-12 is set up for Devin and Mike:

Layout 1 is the factory default PRESETS with one modification: each preset switch has a Layout Link to Layout 2, so when you load a preset, the FC-12 automatically goes to the SCENES layout. Bank size is set to 10. The banks wrap and are limited to 1 (representing 20 presets for 20 songs).

The SCENES layout has been modified. Six scenes remain across the bottom. The top row has a layout link back to Layout 1, scenes 7+8, two effects or per preset switches, and the tuner. The expression pedal is set as External 1.

Back
Top Bottom