Devin Townsend’s “Quarantine Project”

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
Huge Devin Townsend fan and thought I’d share with you a project that he’s working on while in isolation:

“Hello all, welcome to the first installment of my 'Quarantine Project' I want to be able to provide some relief during these coming times in the ways that I am able. People have been supportive of me in my time of need with the GoFundMe campaign, as we lost a lot of revenue due to the current and foreseeable touring cycle, and want to make sure I can provide something that in some way begins to say 'thank you'. In the ways Im able, I will provide as much content as I can during this period as its what I feel I can offer.

My company has a lot of people involved, and your support has saved us in so many ways. I know we are all affected by this and yes, I could look for another job during this period like so many others will have to, but I figure that the best thing I can do is focus on my work and hopefully provide some sort of relief doing what Im best at. I want to give back as much as I can over the next while, and I hope that some of the work I can manage here will provide a bit of comfort during these troubled times for those who enjoy what I do.

This first song, is just a melancholy sort of thing called ‘Quarantine’ to start the proceedings. The idea with this is that it may be many different styles, Twitch streams, concerts, perhaps a podcast... I have been kept afloat by the audience and wish to help in any way I can. (I am just learning how to do video and I will try to get more proficient at it as the time goes by).

I will do everything I can to help in the ways that Im able. On behalf of myself, Northern Music, HevyDevy Records, and the entire team that makes up my professional world, Thanks for supporting (saving) our business during this downturn. We realize the amount of people that are suffering and dont take this lightly. I figure the best way I can express this is to simply get to work. I will make sure I provide for the people who donated especially.

I am working on lots of ideas to provide during this hard period. I truly cant express my gratitude enough.

Thank you.

Drums: Morgan Agren
Violguitar: Mattias Eklundh”

Last edited:

“Ok, so this was the original version of ZTV we had done for the Z2 album cycle, but it was deemed ‘too gross’ by a mess of people (specifically those closest to me =) But it was fun as shit, and Im glad to have found it again. =) This puppet was made by Violet Casselden, The editing was done by Mike StJean with some other folks Im afraid I cant remember the names of, Dave Young and myself controlled the puppet (I was the face, Dave was the arms) Roger Mowatt controlled the eyes, and Bill Courage did the voiceovers. I love doing this sort of thing. Its a lot of work, but so cathartic. Sorry about the juvenile humor, I think stuff like this is funny. I dont mean to offend, Im just a child I guess. More stuff coming soon.. =)”

Last edited:

“OK, so here's an unmixed version of this song (I'll mix it once I've got some video content) and I just threw together a dumb visual as a placeholder too… The idea is: If you're bored or self Isolated right now, have some fun and make some video footage and send it to me on twitter, then I'll mix this and redo a compilation video. This song features the fantastic Anneke Van Giersebergen in the chorus and the fantastic Che Aimee Dorval in the verse Sorry to Jasper, who has told me for years not to post this, but man…desperate times require desperate actions… The original song was by The Vengaboys {Edit by Jasper: If the Vengaboys sue us we'll probably need another GoFundMe campaign.}”

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the living shit out of this. The Ziltoid episode was 4 times better than the one from the ones from the album cycle. Can't wait to hear the podcast he's gonna be doing about every album.

I'm enjoying the living shit out of this. The Ziltoid episode was 4 times better than the one from the ones from the album cycle. Can't wait to hear the podcast he's gonna be doing about every album

Yeah, I’m so happy he’s putting out content in lieu of the tour. Have you ever listed to his album “listening parties?” He quit doing them around Epicloud. I really like hearing about the writing and production of an album while listening to it. If you haven’t had a chance, definitely check out his autobiography. It really tells the story about what goes on in his brain.

Yeah, I’m so happy he’s putting out content in lieu of the tour. Have you ever listed to his album “listening parties?” He quit doing them around Epicloud. I really like hearing about the writing and production of an album while listening to it. If you haven’t had a chance, definitely check out his autobiography. It really tells the story about what goes on in his brain.

Yeah I read the autobiography and couldn't put it down. I think I listened to all of the listening parties. Are those the ones where he just sits in his car and does commentary? It's all kind of a blur but I remember listening to the one for Deconstruction. Can't remember if I did for the others. I'm dying to hear about the process of The New Black. Not necessarily about the drama of breaking up the band, just about the process of making that album. They sure went out with a bang.

Are those the ones where he just sits in his car and does commentary? It's all kind of a blur but I remember listening to the one for Deconstruction. Can't remember if I did for the others.

Yeah, it’s usually just him in his car. The one for Epicloud is pretty cool.
I'm dying to hear about the process of The New Black. Not necessarily about the drama of breaking up the band, just about the process of making that album. They sure went out with a bang.

Yeah, I’m definitely looking forward to more behind the scenes stories.

I was pleasantly surprised to visit the GoFundMe page today to donate and found it to be nearly $20,000 past the goal! Keneally posted a meager, $4,100 one earlier this week for a new Mac and Pro Tools or Logic and that went a couple grand past the goal as well.

I didn’t get the chance to see the Ziltoid TV thing before it was taken down. I wonder why it was removed?

“Good day! So here we are at the start of another week that will undoubtedly be challenging and difficult to navigate. So to provide some energy for our workload here's Quarantine Project part 5: Stampys Blaster! (If you watched the Twitch stream yesterday, you’ll know that Stampy is the name of the elephant that came up during the mix =) ‘I love you all, May your heart be filled by grace, let your hearts be filled with love’”

Last edited:

“Hey there folks =) Another day, another Quarantine Project demo! This one I've been mixing on the Twitch stream over the past few days, it's called ‘Honeybunch’ and is a melodic little oddity that gets stuck in my head. A fortunate side effect of this Quarantine is that a lot of friends of mine are cooped up too, so for this, my buddy Che Aimee Dorval sang her parts in her living room at the same time as drummer Federico Paulovich recorded his drums in his =) Fortuitous! ...both of those artists are exceptionally talented. Wayne Joyner offered to make a cool little video too, (which I added a few dumb faces too) and I think its kind of a decent little song. Thanks everyone involved =) I hope you enjoy, and I wish you all strength during this trying time. I'll be doing a Twitch stream at noon if you're up for a guitar lesson Your virtual friend, Dev.”

Not sure if anyone has been keeping up with Devin’s output lately, but the guy is probably working harder than he usually does as of late. His podcasts, going over entire albums and his personal life at the time of the making of said albums have been CRAZY. Sometimes literally. The guy has a lot of balls for putting that info out there, that’s for sure. They’ve been quite liberating for me in a lot of ways as I had some of the same behaviors for a period in my life and hearing how someone else I respect quit those behaviors and dealt with the aftermath has just been a relief to hear.

Anywho, Dev is doing some live ‘concerts’ this weekend and there’s an FM3 being given away as a prize. It’s being done through StageIt and if I read it all correctly, each show’s donations are going to hospitals. I’m assuming your donation awards you the chance of winning a prize. You have to buy ‘notes’ in order to purchase a ticket, $1.00 (USD) is equal to 10 notes and the shows are 200 notes.

Not a bad way to entertain yourself for a while, help out some hospitals AND possibly get yourself an FM3!

Attachments

• 8B4D14EA-6CB5-4772-A865-4F3FE9A48A77.png
    8B4D14EA-6CB5-4772-A865-4F3FE9A48A77.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 031EC90F-8249-43CF-8AB6-B05DE0CFBB57.jpeg
    031EC90F-8249-43CF-8AB6-B05DE0CFBB57.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 6
I have really enjoyed the podcast series. Listen to the podcast, the listen to the album it was about, really enhances the listening experience, knowing where he was at mentally, the struggles, what they are about, and all of that.

I have really enjoyed the podcast series. Listen to the podcast, the listen to the album it was about, really enhances the listening experience, knowing where he was at mentally, the struggles, what they are about, and all of that.

I've listened to every episode. It's super inspiring from a "get your life together" perspective.

Back
Top Bottom