Detuning with the Pitch Block working poorly?

Birdy

Inspired
A lot of times I want to use the pitch block just to tune my guitar 1 semitone up or down.
I've tried using it and is sounds really bad, it has a weird tremolo effect and a horrible doubling sound all the time.
I'm putting it first in the chain, using the right settings (1 voice only, fixed, 100% wet, no delay no feedback).
I've tried everything the Track Adjust knob has to offer, but no good.
Same thing with the Pitch Track menu.

EDIT: Everything I talk about is when using an empty preset with only a pitch block in it, no amp or cab.
This effect is much less audible when using distortion, but I am concerned with why is it there to begin with.

Before I got the Axe Fx, I used the GTR "Pitcher" Stomp plugin by Waves, which works perfectly.
Sounds great even in more extreme settings, and with unnoticeable latency.

Can anyone help me out here? Or is the Pitch block not that good?

Last edited:
A lot of times I want to use the pitch block just to tune my guitar 1 semitone up or down.
I've tried using it and is sounds really bad, it has a weird tremolo effect and a horrible doubling sound all the time.
I'm putting it first in the chain, using the right settings (1 voice only, fixed, 100% wet, no delay no feedback).

Before I got the Axe Fx, I used the GTR "Pitcher" Stomp plugin by Waves, which works perfectly.

Have you checked this:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Pitch_block#Dropped_tuning

Hmm...I just redid all my presets using the pitch block so I can tune 1/2 step down and I'm experiencing no issues other than a slight latency...so small it doesn't bother me. No doubling or artifacts. I'm running it first in line and haven't had any of the issues you are experiencing, Birdy. I even go a half step up in a few songs and am noticing no audible differences that bother me other than the slight latency.

Would you mind sharing a few screenshots of how you have it configured with pics of your settings?

Hmm...I just redid all my presets using the pitch block so I can tune 1/2 step down and I'm experiencing no issues other than a slight latency...so small it doesn't bother me. No doubling or artifacts. I'm running it first in line and haven't had any of the issues you are experiencing, Birdy. I even go a half step up in a few songs and am noticing no audible differences that bother me other than the slight latency.

Would you mind sharing a few screenshots of how you have it configured with pics of your settings?
Or just post a working preset with the pitchblock ;)
If i had, i would.
I have always one guitar downtuned so i havent saved mine, else i would

I have a tip not related to settings.
Monitor with something so that your guitar strings are not audible. I see you had success with the Waves product. I still think this monitoring trick is worth a try. When I am in my music room playing thru studio monitors...I have the problem you describe. When I put my in ear monitors in...or if I am playing with my band at a loud volume I can't hear the weirdness either. I do have the slight latency the others mentioned tho.

I tried the double thing with left going straight and right with a pitch detune.
When using no detune and no delay, mix on 100% I get 18ms latency.
Isn't that a bit much?

I have the same problem at times. I know it is because I am doing something wrong but I'm not sure what it is. So, I just copy the pitch block from one of the available presets that is already dropped a semitone and it works great.

What algorithm are you using? Silly question I know but it does matter. I use the fixed harmonizer. Settings down 1 step mix 100% (there is two harmonizers so make sure the other is at 0% mix, and set it to local. The latency is extremely low and not noticeable when playing with others.

yeah, i just measured it as well. amp block + pitch shift detune. source set to local. cpu at 17%. i get 18ms.

whether you might consider that to be "a lot", or "not much" will depend on your expectations, i guess.

whether that is actually "a lot", or "not much"...i don't know. i have nothing to compare it to. it's certainly better than the eventide i used to own...

i did it using the analogue outs - dry left, processed right. select the region in between the initial peaks and read off the length

Back
Top Bottom