DETUNING - Pitch block - how does it compare to real guitar being detuned?

JohnRaptor

Inspired
I noticed in one of the preset banks a patch thats detuned a whole step down utilizing the 'pitch' block. I checked it out briefly and it sounded pretty cool but I didn't have time to mess with it a whole lot yet.

I like to play in a variety of tunings. How close does the detuned pitches compare to an actual guitar thats detuned? Could you record a song say a half or full step and it would sound exactly like I detuned my guitar and the listener couldn't tell the difference? If I could get away with making various patches with different tunings that would be incredible! I am 3 weeks into owning my new AxeII and finding awesome new stuff all the time!

I've used it fairly convincingly while jamming with a drummer and for practicing tunes at home that are tuned down 1/2 step.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Detuning by a half-step or two can produce great results. The more you detune, the more "different" it will sound.

When you detune your guitar strings, that's all you detune—your strings. When you detune with a processor, you detune not just your strings, but your guitar resonances as well. The timbre of your strings stays the same, too, and that doesn't happen when you detune the strings themselves. The more you detune, the more different it will sound.

Also, as you detune farther, sustain will change, as will feedback and feel. That's because the speakers are putting out a different pitch from the pitch your strings are vibrating at. That changes the speaker-to-string feedback loop.

It's very convenient and in most cases adequate, but if I had a guitar sitting there already detuned for that purpose I would choose it over pitch shifting. You can hear and feel the difference.

How do you guys deal with the latency? Am I missing something... the pitch detune definitely has a latency issue... Is there a setting that can improve this?

I noticed when the tracking was near perfect the tone became muddy...THEN i tonematched to the regular tuned guitar and it sounded fantastic!!!

I am new to using the AxeFxII and havent learned alot yet but I have a question I was hoping someone could help me with.

The 'DETUNE' patch that comes standard as a preset works great but when I go to pretty much any other patch and add a 'Pitch' block in front of the signal chain and select detune it doesnt detune at all. Any ideas why?

I am new to using the AxeFxII and havent learned alot yet but I have a question I was hoping someone could help me with.

The 'DETUNE' patch that comes standard as a preset works great but when I go to pretty much any other patch and add a 'Pitch' block in front of the signal chain and select detune it doesnt detune at all. Any ideas why?

Detune mode can't do semitone shifts, just +/- 50 cents. Intel Harm. or Adv. Whammy will work. With Adv. Whammy set mix to 100%, make sure Control knob is at 0% then use Start knob to set the interval. Or you can copy the pitch block settings from the other preset.

Many products have tried to do this... I think they all have failed... and would never waste my time with it....

the all sound bad/unnatural to me...

also- i feel you loose all the characteristics of a natural guitar...

Really tuning down just rings out better and feels more natural (than transposition or playing something tuned down in standard)

Back
Top Bottom