Detune or Chorus (80s rock)

Keg8605

Power User
Do you prefer Detune or Chorus for that 80s vibe? I recently started toying with Detune and have noticed its quite nice. Prior I always used the dimension Chorus. Please feel free to mention your settings for either.

I usually have mix for both in the 25-30% range. Detune like +- 4-7 cents.

I lean a little bit more to detune. My setting is inline with Eddie Van Halens. 9 and -9 and then I just adjust the mix.

The detune is really nice. I currently use it instead of chorus.I was using the dimension previously as well.

Definitely Detune for me :) Prob +11 cents / -13 cents and mix to taste - nothing wrong with Chorus but Detune is much more subtle

I'll have to look into the detune again. I used it a couple years back, but then stopped because it just started to sound weird to me. Recently though, I've been dialing in just a tad of chorus (in-line with the mix between 8-10%) to smooth things out a little on high gain tones. I'll have to go back and try similarly subliminal levels of detune and see if I like that any better.
-
Austin

Try this....

Vol and Pitch block in parallel.
Vol block panned hard left
Pitch block set to Detune, panned hard right. Use one voice and detune it between -6 and -9 cents. Turn voice 2 off.

I find this gives me a tighter, more responsive detune than the pitch block alone or the enhancer. I use this whenever I want to increase the stereo field. If you have your cab block after the effects, don't forget to run it in stereo, panned 100% left and right.

I got this idea from my JC120...

Obviously YMMV...:D

RR

Do you prefer Detune or Chorus for that 80s vibe? I recently started toying with Detune and have noticed its quite nice. Prior I always used the dimension Chorus. Please feel free to mention your settings for either.

I usually have mix for both in the 25-30% range. Detune like +- 4-7 cents.

Mate, you said it.. +- 4-7 cents and it works a treat.. Depending on what amp you're using, you can get into that 'EVH' territory.. Very nice!!

When I was using the TC G-Major 2 I liked to use the detune, but I've been using the Dimension-D with Axe Fx... However, I keep the rate and depth pretty low on most of my chorus settings.

Here are some fast clips :
First : Clean Triangle Chorus , Parallel
Second : Pitch Detune , Parallel : 11.4 / -11.4 cent ,

This one is the heavy version , amp used 6160 block all default
First Dry > Detune > Chorus

And this is the right 'Guitar' which goes with the 80's style of course......o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

<inappropriate attachment deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a number of modulation-less chorus pedals coming out now such as the Keeley Seafoam Chorus and 30ms Double Tracker. I am sure there are others as well.

Here are some fast clips :
First : Clean Triangle Chorus , Parallel
Second : Pitch Detune , Parallel : 11.4 / -11.4 cent ,

This one is the heavy version , amp used 6160 block all default
First Dry > Detune > Chorus

And this is the right 'Guitar' which goes with the 80's style of course......o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

View attachment 30172

Forget the detune/chorus discussion. Where can I get one of these guitar stands?

Back
Top Bottom