Detailed Amp Sim Walkthrough Video #2: Bogner Shiva!

james...

Experienced
Some of you may remember me doing one of these on the Matchless Chieftain a couple of weeks ago. I had some positive feedback and also a lot of suggestions on how to improve. I took everyone's thoughts into account and tried to improve the format here. There are now a lot more sound clips, a little less talking, more time stamps, and a shorter runtime. We're at around 15 mins total now, which I think is a reasonable amount of time for what you get in these videos.

Check description, because the Timestamps can be very helpful.

Please leave more feedback if you think there's still things that can be improved upon.

nice job. Enjoyed the whole video. I think the Bogner on the Axe is a great representation of the actual amp although I haven’t AB’d but have played both. My friend Steve has had them side by side and could not tell the difference for the most part. Thanks for sharing this.

Nice video, need to go check them Bogners out again with a different cab. Always went with the 1x12 previously and didn't quite dig the sound.

Massive improvement from #1, well done. I'm looking forward to hearing more in this series.

I think you were much better prepared for this one, I loved hearing more of the amp in different styles / pickup positions, and the speaker comparisons were good too.

I also felt the ~15 min mark is perfect for this type of amp. No doubt you'll need more time for some of the more complex amps (mesa mark / triaxis with all the variations between models), but this was a really good length - at least for me.

Agree with the previous comments. A marked improvement on the first video... And I know what amp I plan to explore today :)

Great video, i enjoyed it

I’m surprised fractal left out those knobs and controls in the modeling...still sounds amazing

I wonder, how does a guitarist find out what amps they like? Like from listening to artist you like and finding out what they use and trying it out for yourself?or do you just literally plug into a lot of amps

Like Callan said, Mesa was always my only known amp besides Crate Blue voodoo cheapness so I’d love to know how you guys found./discover amps and cabs you like

For me, I mostly just explore. The Axe Fx is like being a kid in a giant candy shop, where the owner is in the back room and nobody else is around. Try everything, see what tickles your sweet tooth ;)

Spin the dial, take a listen, spin another dial....repeat

Also can be fun to put a looper block early in the chain, play a little riff, and then let it keep playing back while you listen to different amp models, different cabs etc

I'm always finding some amp I previously overlooked and find it sounds awesome for a given riff or style. Part of the fun of the Axe

That clean is absolutely gorgeous! Would you mind sharing the preset? I can build out most of it based on the video, but I'm not sure if some of the channels change settings for things like the reverb, delay, etc. I know the cabs are user ones, but I can switch that around pretty easily or just get those particular OH ones.

I dialed in a pretty nice Shiver Clean in about 2 minutes. Putting both the Input Drive and Master Volume about 7-8, dropped the Bass down to 3-3.5 or so and just a hair down on the Treble. Works great with a neck single coil.

For IRs I used my go-to combo of ML Legends G12H30-55 with a SM57 and R121 or M160.

Right in my wheelhouse!

I came to the Axe3 from the Shiva 20th and that clean channel on the Shiva 20th is a monster!..... one of the very best ever IMHO... The Axe3 totally nails it!!!! Great job!

I wonder, how does a guitarist find out what amps they like? Like from listening to artist you like and finding out what they use and trying it out for yourself?or do you just literally plug into a lot of amps

I would mod an amp that didn't sound the way I liked (usually a SF Fender, when they were cheap and unwanted) and change its circuit. I eventually found a previously hacked '65 BF Bassman and had a couple different things in that which I liked.
This one was nice: http://www.nyquist-plot.com/article/channel-switching-preamp-mod-ab165-fender-bassman

Later it got rewired yet again with one channel having all 3 knobs of a Tweed 5E3 Deluxe, and the other being not far from the EF86 channel of a Matchless DC30. That mod has stayed since 2007 or so. Would love to put the linked circuit back in action. 2 channels with switching, FX loop, a great sound overall....

James,

Thank you for the time you have invested here. I didn't mind the longer video but this certainly gets to the point. Looking forward to what you have next!

Back
Top Bottom