Desperately need help with reamping my Ultra!

Prosvetlen

Inspired
Please, post here all the different successful approaches in reamping your Ultra! I just can't figure it out:

1) First I tried to place a digital recorder between my guitar and the Ultra, so I could loop the dry guitar tone in order to reamp it through the Ultra. The recorder introduced some slight hiss, probably because the guitar tone was too weak being not amplified before the recorder. So that didn't work

2) My second attempt was to record mono the dry guitar sound on my DAW and send it through another sound card to the Ultra. The result was pretty much the same (the other sound card was Pod X3 (the red bean).

The only thing I could think of now is if a looper (RC or something else, this is what I'm trying to figure out) will do the job. The signal path will be pretty much the same: Guitar>Looper>Ultra. My biggest concern is that loopers too introduce some noise to the dry signal and that is unacceptable because I need the best recording environment. And that's why I'm posting this: out of pure desperation. HELP! Thank you.

hi !

first question: which soundcard do you have ?

I use a Motu 828 with several in / out: I connect the guitar to the INPUT 1 of my sound card --> the OUT 1 of my sound card goes to the input of Axe FX --> the OUT of Axe FX goes to INPUT 2 of my soundcard ...

Using this method you can record the "dry" track (coming from INPUT 1) while you're listening to the "effected" track coming from INPUT 2

completely different if you don't have so many in / out ...

I use the on-board card of my iMac--powerful stuff, 1-3 ms latency only, but it has only one stereo 1/8 input. The other sound card is Pod X3, only one mono input.

hi !

I use a Motu 828 with several in / out: I connect the guitar to the INPUT 1 of my sound card --> the OUT 1 of my sound card goes to the input of Axe FX --> the OUT of Axe FX goes to INPUT 2 of my soundcard ...

Using this method you can record the "dry" track (coming from INPUT 1) while you're listening to the "effected" track coming from INPUT 2

Hmmm... I might have to try this approach.
To the OP, what about having a signal path setup sending EVERYTHING in the chain to Output 1. Then having the second path with ONLY and FX loop (the FX loop block automatically routes whatever is before it to Output 2.
So cabling wise Output 1 from AxeFX goes to input 1 on your audio interface (entire signal chain: preFX - amp - cab - post FX)
Output 2 from AxeFX goes to input 2 on your audio interface (ONLY completely dry guitar signal)
This seems the cleanest approach to use for me without getting too fancy and basically keeping everything "within the box".
I'm going to try it when my standard gets here on Monday.
EDIT: Also if you are considering the best signal path I believe RC or RADIAL or similar has some type of signal splitter/buffer. Someone on TGP used to use one of these before he got the II for reamping. guitar -> splitter (which also buffers the input and gets the dry guitar signal a little stronger/hotter). The dry out goes directly to your audio interface, the other output goes to the in on the AxeFX.

Last edited:
hi !

Hmm? I never tried reamping because with USB you have to record in 48k-I guess.. But the way you do it is analog isn't it?

Last edited:
Mac built-in audio is not good (noisey etc). To do this with pro quality you need a decent DI and a decent Mic/Inst Pre, and two (or three inputs on your DAW interface if monitoring the Axe in stereo). Run GTR to DI and Axe, DI to Mic/Inst Pre into interface channel a, and the Axe into interface channel b (or b + c if stereo).

Monitor the Axe channel(s) while recording, and just play the DI'd track back into the Axe's rear line input when reamping.

Good luck.

I use the on-board card of my iMac--powerful stuff, 1-3 ms latency only, but it has only one stereo 1/8 input. The other sound card is Pod X3, only one mono input.

Last edited:
hi !

Thanks very much Luke!! I have tried to do reamp of my guitar tracks without success. I decided to try his
approach and it worked first time! I clearly heard the two tracks, dry and
with amp simulation.

I have a Duet Apogge and use the logic and Imac.

Back
Top Bottom