Designing tones with recording in mind?

deathbyguitar

Power User
I was wondering about how you guys approach coming up with tones that you will use on a recording, specifically heavy rock/metal tones. Obviously ,a pro-quality mix will have tons of processing on the master, like EQ, compression, saturation and such, but do you guys like to craft your tones through such a signal chain to begin with, or perhaps just come up with something when playing by yourself that sounds good and fix it in the mix if it sucks? Let's assume re-amping with the II isn't an option, but re-cabing with Cablab is.

Thanks!

Guitar is usually the instrument receiving the least amount of processing in a mix for me.
Like, barely any. Remember that bad in = bad out. Have a great source sound and it should work out well.
The master chain affects everything so processing the master bus requires a different mindset to that of mixing.

Last edited:
Tonally i go for balance over everything else. Its gotta fill up the right spaces without being overly intrusive in the rest of the instruments space in the mix.That being said I prefer to have more to work with that I can take away from than to have too little. Additive eq on guitars sounds less pleasing than subtractive especially so on distorted guitars

If I am recording, I tend to build my guitar tones to fit the mix. I like to have everything going into the recording shaped to fill the right spot of the mix so that there is very minimal EQ and compression going on, and mostly adjusting levels to balance everything. I'm new to recording, so I'm sure people will tell me I'm doing things wrong, but so far my mixes sound pretty good on everything I've tested from headphones, cellphone, car, and my monitors. I tend to start with my drums. I use EZ Drummer 2 with multiple packs you can get from them. My drum tone is based on the style of music, so I pick and choose the drum kit pieces and adjust the sound accordingly. Then I adjust my bass tone to compliment the drums, but stand out from it as well. Then I build my guitar tones to blend in yet stand out from the drums and bass. In the end, its mostly level balancing and panning stuff to make it sit right and the whole mix sound full, but not muddy, and every instrument defined, yet sitting nicely. I end up using minimal EQ and some compression (usually on some of the drumming and bass stuff, rarely on my guitar stuff). Everyone has a different approach, so I am sure as I get more experience recording, my approach and methods will change over time.

I always try to create an inspiring tone. The point in tracking for me, is to deliver an inspired performance.

Inspiration is subjective. So there is no right or wrong answer in regards to tone.

I prefer my tones a little low mid heavy and a little darker. Overall they are somewhat balanced though. Not scooped might be a better way of saying it.

I always try to create an inspiring tone. The point in tracking for me, is to deliver an inspired performance.

Inspiration is subjective. So there is no right or wrong answer in regards to tone.

I prefer my tones a little low mid heavy and a little darker. Overall they are somewhat balanced though. Not scooped might be a better way of saying it.

Always use inspiring tones! Just sometimes what sounds super killer in the room while jamming, does not sound good in the mix, so I have to adjust accordingly. A lot of times, my tones I use to just play and write in the room will be too dark in the mix, so I have to brighten things up to get it so sit properly. I tend to record with brighter guitars on the heavy stuff and let my bass bring the low end rumble and punch. But my guitar tone really depends on what type of music I am writing/recording.

Do you guy generally record with reverb or even delay turned off and then add them later, maybe inside the Daw itself?
Also when multi tracking guitars, say for tight rhythms do you guys tend to darken the tone slightly ? perhaps when recording 3 guitar left right and centre ,do you keep all 3 tones the same or would you darken or brighten any of them?

Do you guy generally record with reverb or even delay turned off and then add them later, maybe inside the Daw itself?
Also when multi tracking guitars, say for tight rhythms do you guys tend to darken the tone slightly ? perhaps when recording 3 guitar left right and centre ,do you keep all 3 tones the same or would you darken or brighten any of them?

I tend to record with reverbs and delays on in my axe. I know some people swear against it and add them after the fact. However on drums, I add some reverb in Reaper DAW if the drums need it. I don't have many Reverb or Delay plugins to experiment with, so that is why I use the Axe's reverbs and delays while recording guitars. For the other question, I do multiple things to make the guitars sound bigger. I usually only run lead guitars down the center and sometimes slightly panned. Rhythm guitars are panned L & R at different percentages depending on if its double tracked or quad tracked. I usually have one guitar slightly darker sounding than the other. I also use different amp/cab/guitar combinations so that everything blends nicely, but isn't an exact tonal copy on both sides. It makes things seem bigger if that makes sense. I mean I don't take a fender clean amp and play one side panned and then a Recto on the right gained out lol. However, the Mark series amps and Uberschall seem to be a favorite combination of mine for heavy rythm work, and I use lots of different amps and cabs for the leads. For me its always a trial and error approach. When I find things that work well together whether its drum kit pieces and adjustments to my EZ Drummer plugin, or amp/cab/effects combos, compressions, EQ, etc.. I make notes on a scratch pad so they are there for next time I want a good starting point for the next project.

I find that less EQ, compression and processing is my ticket. Produces a far more dynamic recording and as well the Axe provides studio quality tones out of the box. I always try to target a mix that is as close to 'just mixing' as possible. I print FAS with effects as many times that is the inspirational tone in the first place. Vocals and all else... after the fact.

Obviously ,a pro-quality mix will have tons of processing on the master, like EQ, compression, saturation and such, but do you guys like to craft your tones through such a signal chain to begin with, or perhaps just come up with something when playing by yourself that sounds good and fix it in the mix if it sucks?
I go for recording my guitars with a balanced midrange and low-end, but also with a large sound. Subtract the junk in the DAW to fit the mix. My DAW processing on the guitar tracks is very minimal: Console saturation, EQ, multi-band compressor. Done.

For reverb and delay it depends on the project as to whether or not I track with EFX on or not. I always monitor with EFX on.

When I layer guitars, I always use different instruments and amplifiers (or amp models). I have certain combinations of instruments that I know will give me the layering I am going for. E.g. 335 + Melody Maker, or Strat + Les Paul.

I'm not a fan of the sound of the same instrument panned L / R playing the same part. I would just use on guitar for a part like that and not double track.

When crafting guitar tones I first select what sound I am going for, at least in general terms (clean, slight crunch, big crunch, lead tone etc.). I start with mt y favorite presets to see if they will work, or at least get me close. I then listen to the mix and where the guitar will sit in the mix and eq as desired. I then record two tracks, one effected and one dry. Once I get the performance I am after, I usually dump the effected track and use the dry track. I find that adding effects during the mix gives me better results. I keep compression on the dry track so when I say adding effects during the mix I am referring to reverb, delay, etc.

I suppose this question depends on if you care about getting the exact same tones playing live. If that's not a concern, then I'd say get your sound as close as possible to perfect before recording including EQ. If you do care, you might want to get your live tone figured out and then do EQ and compression in your DAW.

I use the ambient reverb at the end of my guitar chain, delays are circumstantial, I also only use 2 rhythm tracks hard panned and usually use 2 different tones for each bc stereo image and whatnot

Back
Top Bottom