Describing Sounds

Let's not overlook "sounds digital"... ;)

And maybe a good description of the crystal lattice. :D

Sorry I have nothing useful to add.

I hear people talk about "woody", "thunk", "knock", "thump", "forward", etc. No clue what most of those actually refer to.

Maybe add definitions of sounds for:
Digital
Amp-in-the-room
Whoosh
1ms Latency
Best amp
Best IR
Mojo? Secret sauce? Sweet spot?
sounds good, sounds bad, neutral, acquired taste?
In your face?
Not to forget about: 3D (-ish)
Let's not overlook "sounds digital"... ;)

And maybe a good description of the crystal lattice. :D

Sorry I have nothing useful to add.

I hear people talk about "woody", "thunk", "knock", "thump", "forward", etc. No clue what most of those actually refer to.
Does "Spacious" count? how about Full sounding...
So...how do you describe these things, technically? If someone says they want more "Woosh" what do you tell them to do? That's what I mean by "help me improve this".

Without using a sound as an example or frame of reference to help define the words being used it would be somewhat difficult to translate them.
The whole point is to use words. See the wiki page. It maps specific words on to specific spots in the audio spectrum so words are adequate, clear, ubiquitous.

The whole point is to use words. See the wiki page. It maps specific words on to specific spots in the audio spectrum so words are adequate, clear, ubiquitous.

I know but you still need a frame of reference to define the word! That chart only tells you where those sounds live sonically in the audio spectrum. Describing a sound is hard to do especially when people have invented more than one word to do so. One would probably be better off resorting to technical descriptions to describe the type of sonic differences ie: pushed 900 Hz or something of that sort.

Listen to The World Around me by Kings X, how would you describe that guitar sound? Or Boston or Queen, what words does one use to describe that tone? Very unique sounds not only need an example but an explanation as to how they are made. What frequencies were manipulated? is there a Q value that was utilized and so on.

I know this doesn't help you out very much but it does sound pretty good ;)! maybe someone else can better explain technically what I'm trying to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom