Demo'ed the Axe to guitar player for Geoff Tate's Queensrych today

Womac911

Inspired
Demo'ed the Axe to guitar player for Geoff Tate's Queensryche today

So, Geoff Tate is about to launch his last tour under the Queensryche name. Guitar player Nick Greatrex stopped by to pick up some stuff I made for his guitar. Also did some work for Robert Sarzo, as well...Rudy's brother. Both are in the band. Thrilled to be a part of the sound of the last Tate/Queensryche tour. :mrgreen

They're launching at a very small venue near Tacoma, WA called Louie G's Pizza.

Nick got to spend some time with the Axe FX today. He dug it quite a bit. Showed him how he can tone-match some of the album tones if he wanted to. Spent some time tooling around the AC30 model, which is what be used on stage.

Goign to see them at Louie's on the 25th....

Last edited:
Interesting, sounds like another law suit getting ready to happen. It's really a shame, all that has happened with the group... I was bummed when I heard the news.

From the Wiki
"It was revealed to the public on April 28, 2014 that Rockenfield, Wilton and Jackson were given the exclusive rights to the Queensrÿche trademark".

IIRC that was to come in to effect in Setember; Geoff has a little time left to exploit the name to the fullest before then, hence the "Geoff Tate Queensrÿche farewell tour". More noteworthy to me is the implication tgat Kelley Grey is off the tour...

IIRC that was to come in to effect in Setember; Geoff has a little time left to exploit the name to the fullest before then, hence the "Geoff Tate Queensrÿche farewell tour". More noteworthy to me is the implication tgat Kelley Grey is off the tour...

My understanding is that this is Geoff's own lineup, consisting of Robert and Rudy Sarzo, Nick Greatrex, and I don't know who else. After this tour, Geoff relinquishes the name the others but continues to keep the performance rights to Operation Mindcrime.

They were all awesome, but like them, I totally lost interest when all the shite started
thumbdown.gif

Shame

"Queensryche" are launching their tour... at a pizza joint? What? :|

This particular place has attracted acts from all over. Quite popular, and they're in danger of being shut down by the city, which may be part of the reason they're kicking off there. They made the paper recently, the city of Fife was/is trying to blackmail them, basically. Seattle area is host to some strange venue/band combinations. Saw Monster Magnet at a bar several months ago, and my ex-wifes favorite band 30 Seconds To Mars at several bars years ago.
Decades ago I saw BOC at a place called the Ballard Firehouse. Tiny venue. Among those who performed at the Firehouse were John Entwistle, Dale Bozzio, Dave Davies of the Kinks, UFO, Bad Company, Blue Oyster Cult, Dokken, Jimmy Cliff, Alpha Blondy, Kansas, the Fixx, the Romantics and Quiet Riot.

I think it was 2007 that I saw Rick Derringer and Edgar Winter is someone's (large) living room!

Seattle is a strange place!

Larry LaRue: Everybody – including City Hall – working to get Fife pizzeria off hot seat

Louie Galarza, right, owner of Louie G's Pizza in Fife, bakes pizzas with Christon Casper, left, and Brittany Sterling, rear, during the lunch rush, July 11, 2014. The city wants him to pay a $5,000 annual fee because the restaurant also has live music. PETER HALEY — Staff photographer |Buy Photo

Everyone likes a good citizen vs. city hall story - including many of those who work in Fife’s city hall.

The good citizen in this tale is Louie Galarza, for the past seven years the owner-manager-cook at Louie G’s Pizzeria.

In that span he has pulled music acts from around the country to the city and been a one-man fund-raising machine for youth sports leagues, food banks and - just last week - threw a spaghetti feed for a Kent kid who couldn’t get a school lunch because his family was broke.

“Louie’s an awesome community asset,” said Fife City manager Dave Zabell.

So why - does it appear to Louie - that the city has been trying to ruin his business, and his life, the past two months? That’s where the plot grows complicated.

Louie is a 42-year-old tattooed bear of a fellow who likes people and pizza. He has a wide streak of righteous indignation on the surface, a big goofy heart beating below it.

When a woman he’d hired two months ago told him her father, a former biker, was dying and his last wish was for one more motorcycle ride, Louie almost cried.

“I’d never met the man, but c’mon, his story broke my heart,” Louie said.

Two days later, calling upon a network of friends, a few dozen guys on motorcycles rode in formation, and the dying man came along in a sidecar. Louie shook his hand, hopped on his own Harley and off they went.

The man died the next day.

How did a guy like Louie get sideways with city hall? It was easy.

He walked in to renew his business license.

David Osaki, Fife’s community development director, suspects Louie ran into one of his department’s newer employees, someone who’d looked over the city codes and had an ‘Aha!’ moment.

Louie G’s is a pizzeria with a large stage and, at least two nights a week, live music.

Deep in Fife’s planning code was the requirement that any restaurant with a stage and live music needed a conditional use permit. The application process for such a permit required a $5,000 deposit to pay for city expenses and a formal hearing.

Louie heard “$5,000,” and began making frantic calls to anyone he knew who might understand what was happening to him. Almost no one did because hardly anyone, including city employees, knew that code existed.

“I know they have live music, I’m sure others in the city do, too,” Zabell said. “This is the first city I’ve worked where a CUP was required for live music, but there it was. We determined at that time, we had a problem.”

The information Louie was getting made him wonder whether he could stay in business.

“I was told the permit was $5,000 and that the deposit was another $5,000,” he said. “Then someone said they might charge me retroactively for the last four years.”

Louie did the math.

“Summer is a bad time for us,” he said. “When the sun’s out and it’s hot, who wants to order a pizza?

“I had to pay the rent ($9,000-plus), the excise tax ($5,000), payroll (nearly $6,000) and $5,000 for the hearing? All at the same time, then come up with money for the permit? It was going to put me out of business.”

Much of what Louie was told, it turned out, wasn’t accurate. There was a $5,000 deposit, yes, but normally about half that money is returned. And it’s not an annual fee - once it’s acquired, the permit remains with the property.

Even so, Louie was facing a crisis. His budget is tight, and a music business on the side (Mental Itch Records) - he discovers bands, helps develop them - is hardly lucrative. He doesn’t even make money for cover charges.

“Most places will take most of that for themselves, but I don’t touch it,” Louie said. “It all goes straight to the groups. I make my money selling pizza, pasta, beer and wine.”

Osaki was surprised the code even existed.

“Codes need to keep up with the values of the time, and I don’t know the genesis of this, but it may have outlived its use,” Osaki said. “This might be more restrictive than in other communities.”

Louie has filed his application, come up with $5,000, but can’t shake the feeling he’s about to close his doors forever.

“I came in early the other day, and I looked at the stage, thought of all the acts that had played there, and I started bawling like a baby,” Louie said.

The city put Louie’s application on hold and will now determine whether the code affecting him needs to be changed. Osaki’s department will study it, then make a recommendation to the planning commission.

If the commission agrees, it will make a recommendation to the city council. The council will then vote on that recommendation.

“On the face of it, it should be changed,” Zabell said. “In the end, this may wind up being a story about how government responded to help one of it’s citizens, not hurt him.”

Read more here: Larry LaRue: Everybody – including City Hall – working to get Fife pizzeria off hot seat | Larry LaRue | The News Tribune

Last edited:
Somehow in this whole situation i took geoff's side in the arguement (from what i read). I get that he was an egomaniac and may have let his voice go...but for either of them to think THEY are queensryche without the rest...is just sad. They created something really great together and the new Latorresryche is okay...but will never have what they did with tate. Tatesryche just blows though.

Interesting, sounds like another law suit getting ready to happen. It's really a shame, all that has happened with the group... I was bummed when I heard the news.

From the Wiki
"It was revealed to the public on April 28, 2014 that Rockenfield, Wilton and Jackson were given the exclusive rights to the Queensrÿche trademark".
No other law-suit is happening. It is clearly defined that Geoff is allowed to tour with the queensryche name up until August I believe.

It truly was. The place was an old church that had been bought and converted into someone's house, and not a very big one. The living room was where the pews were, and fit maybe 100 people, max. At one point during Frankenstein, the PA power cut out, and all you could hear was the keytar and drums by them selves. It was pretty weird going from full blast to nothing just like that in the middle of a Frankenstein keytar riff.

No other law-suit is happening. It is clearly defined that Geoff is allowed to tour with the queensryche name up until August I believe.

True this is why I posted "getting ready" Of course it will all depend on Jeoff Tate continuing to tour under the QR banner after the dead line passes.

All that aside it is a true shame that it had to come to what it did, personaly I like the DeGarmo years best probably as it was the most popular.

Tate got what he deserved, he doesn't know how to play nice with others, and I could go on and on but naww no point in being all negative. I do know the old Queensryche is dead sadly, even the other Queensryche band without Tat isn't that great, it's better than Tat's version though:)

Back
Top Bottom