DEM VOX FEELS, MAN!!!

:shock :shock :shock :eek: :eek: :eek:

I loaded all the V11 presets today so that I could start fresh and get some order to my presets. Cleans 0-19 from vintage to modern, crunchy 20-39, high gain 40-60, rinse repeat, you know?

So I was all: "Okay. Bassman on 0. Sounds nice. Sounds really nice. Dial in some vintagey cabs from the new OH stuff. That brings a nice smile to meh face. Onto the next one!" :)

And then I'm like: "Oh well lookey here - a Vox 30W TB patch. I've liked that in the past - let's dial in some alnico stuff...."

Turn the amp on, load some cabs that I knew I liked, and I think my Axe-fx might have bricked up or something...

BECAUSE I COULD NOT LEAVE THAT PATCH! HOLY CRAP IN A BUCKET!

I mean, I "liked" the AC30, but I could never really get it to feel as punchy as I'd heard in various clips and from the music I'd heard featuring the amp. But now, sweet mother of pearl does that amp shine! Chime! Punch! SPUTTER! It's all there. Now I'm going to have to go learn some Brian May licks just so I feel like I'm worthy of the amp. If you haven't tried it yet, fire that puppy up and start playing, because your head is about to spin right off your neck.

Thanks (seriously though, thank you) for ruining my morning of productivity Cliff and Co. I have a feeling that there's a whole lot more "bricking" of my Axe-fx II in the near future.

Bricks of gold, my friend. Rivers of bricks of gold...

And although I sound like a product whore saying it (but I can't say it enough, really), what really pushed it over the top was the OH CB Alnicos... yikers.

Yeah, the Vox amps were always the ones that I always felt disappointment with all the way back to the Ultra and when I did get it in it took a ton of work. It's been "the" amp for me since 10 came out. I haven't touched it with 11 yet, but it's so good these days.

Yeah, the Vox amps were always the ones that I always felt disappointment with all the way back to the Ultra and when I did get it in it took a ton of work. It's been "the" amp for me since 10 came out. I haven't touched it with 11 yet, but it's so good these days.

Well, you should definitely hit it up in 11, because - damn those amp dynamics. Much better than 10, which I was already getting to the "satisfied" stage with.

These new OH IR's are just killing with each new preset I work up... killin'

I know. It almost feels like cheating, doesn't it? It's almost stupid how good they sound and the variety of tones one can get out of them.

I like the extra touch the bucket brings to the image.

Holy crap wasn't enough. It somehow didn't convey my shock at how sick the amp suddenly sounded. So ridiculous.

They are 3rd party IRs, meaning you purchase them and use them in your user cabs. The ones we're talking about are from Kevin's latest offering: A Marshall Checkerboard cab. I will buy every single cab bundle the man puts out though. They really are that good, in my little opinion.

They are 3rd party IRs, meaning you purchase them and use them in your user cabs. The ones we're talking about are from Kevin's latest offering: A Marshall Checkerboard cab. I will buy every single cab bundle the man puts out though. They really are that good, in my little opinion.

Hi Guys: I've had all the Redwires stuff in the past, liked it. But, this OH stuff sounds great. Can you make some recommendations on what to buy that is best for FW 11? I'm not much interested in the Mesa V30s (own about 5) or the Bogners that are in the Vintage collections. Is it worth buying both (modern & Vintage) studio collections?

Finally, I'm used to the old Axe Manage way of using IRs. Just upgrading to 11 (from 7) and AE3 tonight. Can someone point me to an easy place that explains how to install/ utilize the IRs in FW11 and AE3?

Thanks!

+1
I just initialised my existing Vox amp in one of my 70 presets and you are sooooo right. The change from FW11beta is amazing and really good. I think it's better than the real AC30 TB with the legendary EF86 tube that I owned until recently.

Looks like I'm going to spend too much time playing this weekend. Oh well, too bad about the list my wife has prepared!

I kinda thought thays what you guys were talking about. I purchased quite a few Redwirez IR's about two years ago for a recording project (in my pre FAS days) I have been thinking about buying some OH ones but not sure which route to go. I did lime the Redwirez but there always seemed to be something missing in the mids and in the "air" of them.

The new OwnHammer IR's are a step above the Redwirez stuff, in my humble opinion. Maybe 3-4 steps. He's only released a "Vintage" and "Modern" set of speakers using the 70's Marshall Checkerboard cab for all IRs. You can go to OwnHammer and read up on it. Or search out a recent thread Scott Peterson started about them. Seriously good stuff..

Back
Top Bottom