Deluxe Tweed is rather great amp

That is great to hear! It's actually a bit counterproductive to get this much positive feedback but obviously I'm happy that people like them. :) Sorry if this is a hijack but the only thing we're questioning is the purpose of single mics since everyone is going for the Alloys straight away. I feel like there should be single mics so people can create their own mixes but the Ace folder might aswell be replaced with really good Alloys that we're picked as crème de la crème. Thoughts?

I think you're on the money. I love the ALLOY folder and your take on mixes; don't really have the time to mix them right now from single mic sources. I can appreciate people wanting single mic sources. The ACE folder seems redundant. You could replace it with some "suggested mixes" in the documentation for the single mic IRs.

The clip above, along with the three clips I made to the Beta team all used ACE IR captures.

I do not like pre-mixed IR captures. Mixes are the tone opinion of someone else and its akin to forcing us to set the EQ knobs on an amp a specific way.

Give me specific mic IRs anyday.

I would even go as far to say that this is at the root problem of digital guitar tone right now. EVERYTHING is filtered through the IR capture and IR captures are not neutral representations of actual speakers. Even single mic IR captures are the interpritation of "Best" from the creator using gear and methods specific to them.

Until the technology can got to another serious level up and IR captures are actual representation of the physics of a speaker, personal tone preferences will be stamped into the IR captures we all use.

That is great to hear! It's actually a bit counterproductive to get this much positive feedback but obviously I'm happy that people like them. :) Sorry if this is a hijack but the only thing we're questioning is the purpose of single mics since everyone is going for the Alloys straight away. I feel like there should be single mics so people can create their own mixes but the Ace folder might aswell be replaced with really good Alloys that we're picked as crème de la crème. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Okay. Final post OT and then back to this amazing clip!

Gamedojo, hearing this might've just saved the existing ACE folder. :D Your clips sound stellar!

I guess this is always similar to UI design. We have different types of users and it's important that the pack works for everyone. I guess the high priorities are the the pack has something for everyone (versatility) and for people who don't have a lot of extra time and trust my choices the pack should be quick to use.

Good to hear.

Pre-mixes are what I like to think of as an introductory to an IR collection. They are fantastic at getting a good sound quick and benefit really well with being placed into the perm. location in the Factory Cab Slots. They help novice players pair an amp and cab quickly to produce great tones. But after you find you like the captures, individual mics allow you to tailor your sound to YOUR guitar, YOUR ears, and YOUR favorite amp settings.

Basically, individual mic IR captures stay intuned with the general theme and essence of the AxeFx where you can go in and modify so many parameters to find YOUR sound.

Okay. Final post OT and then back to this amazing clip!

Gamedojo, hearing this might've just saved the existing ACE folder. :D Your clips sound stellar!

I guess this is always similar to UI design. We have different types of users and it's important that the pack works for everyone. I guess the high priorities are the the pack has something for everyone (versatility) and for people who don't have a lot of extra time and trust my choices the pack should be quick to use.

mmm...deluxe tweed. i've been using the double verb for ages and haven't really moved on and tried many other fenders, so i thought i'd give this one a go. i dialled in the 666 settings through a stereo cab block with two ownhammer 2x12 jensen C12n median mixes, with 0.06ms delay on one cab.

yum.

quite gainy, but beautiful breakup and with a touch of compression, chorus and delay it's heaven on single coils and sounds great with bridge humbucker too. classic tones.

(the 666 settings are gain - 6, bass - 2, mid - 3, treb - 6). hi-cut to taste, cos it'll depend a lot on which cabs you're using.

Simeon,

The 666-“rule” doesn’t really apply here because the original amp only has a Volume and Tone knob.
And many owners turn up Tone (= Treble on Axe-Fx) to 10.

Of course, as always: if it sounds good, well...

I do not like pre-mixed IR captures. Mixes are the tone opinion of someone else and its akin to forcing us to set the EQ knobs on an amp a specific way.

Give me specific mic IRs anyday.

I would even go as far to say that this is at the root problem of digital guitar tone right now. EVERYTHING is filtered through the IR capture and IR captures are not neutral representations of actual speakers. Even single mic IR captures are the interpritation of "Best" from the creator using gear and methods specific to them.

Until the technology can got to another serious level up and IR captures are actual representation of the physics of a speaker, personal tone preferences will be stamped into the IR captures we all use.

Glad you mentioned this, I've thought the same for a while , just haven't said anything.

quite gainy, but beautiful breakup and with a touch of compression, chorus and delay it's heaven on single coils and sounds great with bridge humbucker too. classic tones.
Nice sounding clip (as usual) Tyler.
Deluxe tweed is one of my favs but it is gainy. Would love to see another 5e3 with more clean headroom.

Nice sounding clip (as usual) Tyler.
Deluxe tweed is one of my favs but it is gainy. Would love to see another 5e3 with more clean headroom.

There is more gain here than any 5E3 I have played but I don't know that we need another amp model. I usually turn down the Input Trim in the amp block to reduce the gain and get more clean headroom from the Input Drive control.

(the 666 settings are gain - 6, bass - 2, mid - 3, treb - 6).
BTW, this would translate to the following on the Axe:

gain - 5.5, bass - 1.1, mid - 2.2, treb - 5.6, as Fender controls go from 1 to 10, but the Axe controls go from 0 to 10.

Back
Top Bottom