Deluxe Tweed Ideas

MikeyB59

Power User
I've just had a little more time with the Deluxe model and something I did that made me want to post because it helped me so much so easily, and, not post because it made it sound so much better to me that all I want to do is play it, amp, cab, no reverb even through an RCF NX10. Sounds amazing, as does the Deluxe Reverb, no tweaking on my basic preset. Like my most gigged amp, a 64 Deluxe Reverb.

Anyhow, without further adieu, all I did was raise the value of the bright cap in the ADV tone section to 343. Why that number, I don't know. Move it around and see where you like it. The effect is huge for me. What it did for me was brighten the amp enough that it still had great definition even as the gain is cranked way up, 7-10 is a vast gain difference, and the power amp 9ish unless I want the patch a little tighter, then down. What was mush and lacking the presence and character the amp has when you drive it suddenly sounded awesome, huge, dynamic, responsive to changes in everything, beautiful steel warm clean when not driven too hard. Cranking the clean sound up is great.

That one value made such a difference. I still haven't found some of the wild on the edgeness I like about it, but I'm betting some drive pedals in this might be amazing, too, for getting some more crazier gain stuff.

Other thing to note is that I'm jacking the treble (tone) control way up, even all the way sometimes. The amps gain rolls a ton of highs off when you crank it, so both the tone control and bright cap have to be up for my tastes.

Back to playing.

If anyone has other ideas about how they're running this to get sounds they like, I'd be curious and I'm sure others would, too. I'll share a patch when I get around to it, but for me as simple what I outlined above with cabs of your choice. Using 1-12 type cabs worked great, but it'll be fun to experiment.

I still haven't found some of the wild on the edgeness I like about it, but I'm betting some drive pedals in this might be amazing, too, for getting some more crazier gain stuff.
Try jacking up the input trim value on the amp block.

with my thorn semi hollw no truss swamp ash and maple neck T ( weighing 6 lbs ) - thi s amp is dynamite!!!!!!!!

totally the shizzle

Try jacking up the input trim value on the amp block.

Forgot to say I had it pretty jacked, too. 1.8 or so. I was just getting some amazingly dynamic tones. Fingers is amazing and the bass clipping out keeps the size of the sound from being out of control. What a beautiful touch sensitive clean to crunch I just spent the last hour or so in. I messed with the bright cap some more. It's really a "to taste" thing and I could see dialing differently depending on tone I was going for, but it is a one stop huge difference for me on how the edge responds when driving which is a whole world on this amp.

Gotta go do errands. Wish I could play my Axe more now.

One more thing. Sustain. I haven't even played much with other amps, but this Deluxe Tweed patch is sustaining amazingly with almost no room volume. It's phenomenal.

An open C chord with a bit of edge and jangle drops to maybe 50% volume after 4 measures of a 50bpm groove. It just rings. This is no delays or anything to help the sustain. Crazy. Is that part of the Phase Inverter magic. It's blowing my ears.

Turning up the bright cap is probably similar to the difference between plugging into the normal input or the bright input. Or would turning on the bright switch do that i wonder....

It sounds as if this was not modeled with the channels jumpered since it stays clean pretty far up the volume dial. Or maybe that's a result of the mod Cliff made to the circuit. I toggled on the Saturation switch and that added the gain I was use to from the '53 that I owned a long time ago. That amp was pretty saturated by 3 on the volume knob and from there didn't really get much louder. Just more compressed, more gain, and looser as you turned it up. Anything past 8 was pretty much unusable because of the excessive flab.

I also wonder is Cliff was aware that the Mic input volume control is active and effects the tone and gain of the instrument input, even when nothing is plugged into the mic input. Don't know how you would simulate that in the Axe, but it also could be why I find the model to be a little too tame without the saturation switch turned on.

Anyway, I'm definitely digging it despite these minor quibbles. It would be interesting to hear the model without the modification mentioned in the release notes, but with that said, I've been spending way too much time playing Stones songs in Open-G tuning with this model today and having a blast doing it.

He knows all of that. It's just: you have to make some choices to fit it in to the model -- and inevitably the choices you make will only please some of the people, not all of them. :)

I had to make some decisions on the model and what you have is based on what I felt offered the best starting point. You have the tools in the model to mold it to your preference. Add some bright cap, increase the input trim, etc. to achieve your own personal sonic goals.

Hit the boost switch or increase input trim to simulate jumping the inputs.

Right on. It's a very cool model. And I typed the wrong thing in my original post. Where I said I toggled on "Saturation" I meant to say "Boost".

As I said, those were just small quibbles and the boost switch gets me where I want to go.

I had another session with the Deluxe. Using boost is great if the really jacked version is what you're after. Low end does same thing my original does which is to really fart out low end. Bridge pu helps cut. Overall though I'm really loving this model. Used it with 4-10 Bassman cab and sounded excellent. Killed my verb. It sounds good raw. There are many different great flavors to be had here.

can you share the preset...?
best

I don't really have A preset yet. I've been playing with it like an amp. For gainy tones I put bright cap at 350ish, though it's worth playing with. Treble(tone) is at 9 or more. MV 8-9, Gain anywhere from 5-10 and compensating with level control. Whatever cabs you like, though Fenderish 1-12 type stuff and Bassman 4-10 sound right to me. It's an amp to play around with.

If it's not flubbing out enough for you with the Master Volume at 9, Drive at 5 and the boost engaged turning up the speaker drive parameter in the CAB block. Not much, mind you. Just bring it up to 2-3.

This preset is still a work in progress but I'm having a good time with pretending I can get even close to Mr. Young's feel. :) It's response to volume control is...stunningly good.

Tweed Deluxe - v001: http://j.mp/OvEI4V

I'll push that in to Axe-Change once I've had some more time with it.

I don't really have A preset yet. I've been playing with it like an amp. For gainy tones I put bright cap at 350ish, though it's worth playing with. Treble(tone) is at 9 or more. MV 8-9, Gain anywhere from 5-10 and compensating with level control. Whatever cabs you like, though Fenderish 1-12 type stuff and Bassman 4-10 sound right to me. It's an amp to play around with.

can you tell me what MV is...? actually...is there a newer manual or some site - maybe in yek´s how to´s - where you can watch for all the new parameters...?
thanks!

Here's something interesting - the Deluxe Tweed doesn't show up in Axe-Edit - only on my II itself (same for Atomica and a few other 8.0 newbies). When I refresh Axe-Edit from hardware it comes up as Bassguy with all of the correct params set on the unit. Anyone else notice this?

Firmware 8.01a is available for download now, which should fix your Bassguy problem.

As has been told at least a million gazillion times, Axe-Edit will not show new amps until it is updated to 8.0 and above, which has not happened yet. Until it does, you must use the front panel to access the new amp models.

Back
Top Bottom