deluxe tweed bright switch..

edo

Power User
Vendor
The bright switch on the deluxe tweed doesn't seem to have any effect. Is this normal behavior or possible bug?

The "Authentic"-Settings offers no bright switch cause the original didn't get one I guess.
The switch on the "Ideal" page of AxeEdit has here no effect, too.

Yeah, I know the Tweed Deluxe doesn't have a bright switch (it is one of the few amps I still own), but I was wondering whether its intentional to leave the switch without functioning or it was some sort of "ops, I forgot!" kind of thing :)

It defaults to "on," with a value of 4999pF. At that value, turning it on/off doesn't seem to make a difference. If you lower the value around 200-2000pF, it seems to act like a midrange boost, and then towards the bottom of the dial, it lets more highs through the cap. Couldn't tell you whether that's behaving as intended or not, but it seems strange.

I did try to research a bit and normally the 5E3 has a 500pF bright cap, not 5000pF. Changing it to 500pF on the AF3 results in a much stronger midrange.

It defaults to "on," with a value of 4999pF. At that value, turning it on/off doesn't seem to make a difference. If you lower the value around 200-2000pF, it seems to act like a midrange boost, and then towards the bottom of the dial, it lets more highs through the cap. Couldn't tell you whether that's behaving as intended or not, but it seems strange.

I did try to research a bit and normally the 5E3 has a 500pF bright cap, not 5000pF. Changing it to 500pF on the AF3 results in a much stronger midrange.
Amp doesn't have a bright cap. It has a tone control with 500pF and 5000pF caps.

Amp doesn't have a bright cap. It has a tone control with 500pF and 5000pF caps.
I dug in deeper into some schematics and you're right. There's no cap on the input. It has a 500pF cap connecting the Bright channel volume to the Tone and a 5000pF cap that the Tone control uses to bleed to ground. My assumption is the "bright cap" value on the AF3 is modeling the 5000pF from Tone to ground, right?

I got thrown off because in some of the things I read, people referred to the 500pF as a "bright cap." Turns out there is more than one thing people use that term for.

If anyone is curious about what modding the 5000pF cap from tone to ground does, I found this little description ("change the tone cap value" section on the page):
https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm#Tone_Cap_Value

If anyone wants to look at schematics, this page has several, including some with graphics which are easier for most (myself included) to understand than regular schematics.
https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm

In my humble and unsolicited opinion, there should be a global UI/UX design principle for the III that a usable control should never be present in cases where it will never affect the tone.

In my humble and unsolicited opinion, there should be a global UI/UX design principle for the III that a usable control should never be present in cases where it will never affect the tone.
In this case, it DOES affect the tone. It just isn’t noticeable at the default value of the 4999pF.

Back
Top Bottom