Deluxe reverb model drive/gain?

Most players prefer the Vibrato (should be named into Tremolo, because that's what it is) channel because of the reverb effect. This channel has one extra gain stage too ;) The normal channel is not bad, but if you bought a Deluxe "Reverb" you want to use the "Reverb" wouldn't you? ;)

There were several players who prefer a different preamp tube in these amps - 5751 instead of 12AX7 on V2 to lower the gain . Maybe this could be a nice add to the different preamp tube feature ;)

Having the two channels of Marshall and Fender or this characteristic cited by you
and still the Dumble as his recent video.

Man, that's my dream in AXE! :mrgreen
But I think it will not happen !!! :cry

Having the two channels of Marshall and Fender or this characteristic cited by you
and still the Dumble as his recent video.

Man, that's my dream in AXE! :mrgreen
But I think it will not happen !!! :cry

Having every channel of every amp would be the joy of my life, because in some amps, the high and low channels are cascaded.

And about the single tube configuration, I remember ReValver had something like that where u could change each tube on the chain, and even change the characterisics of each component around it. It would be a nice touch here on the AXE, but maybe that would help the competition reverse engineer the algorithms, just like separating the power amp from the preamp.

We got our reference Deluxe Reverb out of storage today, hooked it up and measured and compared. Gain measures spot-on and A/B testing sounds identical. With a Suhr Modern guitar with stock pickups both the amp and the model were starting to break up around 3 (which equals 2.2 on the Axe-Fx since the knobs start at zero not one).

A Deluxe Reverb breaks up easily since it has 6V6 power tubes. The preamp is virtually identical to a Twin Reverb but 6V6s break up earlier than 6L6s. For a given voltage into the power amp a 6V6 has about 70% of the headroom compared to a 6L6.

We got our reference Deluxe Reverb out of storage today, hooked it up and measured and compared. Gain measures spot-on and A/B testing sounds identical. With a Suhr Modern guitar with stock pickups both the amp and the model were starting to break up around 3 (which equals 2.2 on the Axe-Fx since the knobs start at zero not one).

A Deluxe Reverb breaks up easily since it has 6V6 power tubes. The preamp is virtually identical to a Twin Reverb but 6V6s break up earlier than 6L6s. For a given voltage into the power amp a 6V6 has about 70% of the headroom compared to a 6L6.
I recently bought a DR clone and was sort of shocked by how little headroom they have. At 3 it's breaking up and by 4 or 5 it's pretty dirty. After confirming with the builder that the OT could take it, I dropped some 6L6's in and it has a bit more headroom than with the 6V6's. It's not much louder overall though.

^^^^^^^^^
THIS IS Stellar Service! Where do we see that these days.
:encouragement:

On a side note. This makes me really curious for a pic of The Fractal Amp Room.....

This is my experience as well with my 65 reissue. The model in the Axe is identical. I just posted that in another thread earlier today. Small world.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/105434-future-amp-models-6.html#post1262528

Thanks for confirming Cliff, I was setting the drive too high assuming that 3 on Axe = 3 on the amp. I really am liking the Deluxe Verb model at the minute, with the cab dialled in just right through my CLR it really does sound like what I recall of the original amp.

I reckon you would be hard pressed to tell a difference side by side in a blindfold test.

I don't know why I should still be amazed at the Axe just doing what it is supposed to do...but I am!

if you wish a bit more headroom for a Deluxe Reverb - use it with a 4Ohm Speaker instead of a 8Ohm by design. This would lower the primary impedance of your OT by half. This is what I call a "safe mismatch". You'll have less mids, a bit more clarity in the low and the highs as on the matched load. In the AF2 turn down Transformer Match to 0.5 to come close

I love 6V6-based amps.....

Last edited:
if you wish a bit more headroom for a Deluxe Reverb - use it with a 4Ohm Speaker instead of a 8Ohm by design. This would lower the primary impedance of your OT by half. This is what I call a "safe mismatch". You'll have less mids, a bit more clarity in the low and the highs as on the matched load. In the AF2 turn down Transformer Match to 0.5 to come close

I love 6V6-based amps.....
Perhaps this is the best approach to dial in that pristine Eric Johnson clean tone that he gets with his pair of Deluxe Reverbs (or Twin Reverbs whatever the case may be).

I After confirming with the builder that the OT could take it, I dropped some 6L6's in and it has a bit more headroom than with the 6V6's. It's not much louder overall though.
What's also very important is that your heater power supply on your power transformer can take it. 6L6s use a fair bit more heater current that the 6V6s.

I've added Normal channel models of the Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb and Super Reverb for the next firmware release.

Wow Cliff, thanks man, I honestly can't be shocked enough at the incredible customer support you provide.
This is exactly why I love your company and products.

It would be a different society if every other company shared the passion for their products and customers like Fractal does.

I should thank you personally for this, since I was the one who brought the normal channels up on this thread.

Thanks Cliff, I'll definitely be checking those out for the cleaner side of Fender. Do you hear much difference vs. just dropping input trim to .5 on the existing ones?

I've added Normal channel models of the Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb and Super Reverb for the next firmware release.

Ha! My first three presets… Bassman is number 4. Getting these Fenders to sound and feel correct with all the right Squish™ and Sprang™ has been a great achievement IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom