Deluxe reverb model drive/gain?

GazzaBloom

Inspired
To get a clean tone on the Deluxe Verb model I am having to turn the input drive down to 0.69, I know Blackface Fender Deluxe's break up but they do have a clean tone up to 3 or so the volume don't they? This is with a Fender Strat with single coil pickups.

Remind me, the drive taper on the Axe does't necessarily mean that 3 on the Axe will sound the same as 3 on the amp? or should it?

Don't get me wrong I am getting the tone I want, and adjust the level to boost the volume but am surprised at how low I have to set the input drive to keep it clean, especially on a Fender model.

The drive should pretty much be authentic to the amp, the master is the one that has a different taper. I played through 2 old deluxes for quite a while , one broke up sooner than the other and sounded a bit different , so it is pretty dependent on the particular amp . They aren't pristinely clean amps break up starts pretty early, 3 will have some grit. The AxFx model seems very accurate to me!

In general I find if I want really clean I keep the input drive down and the gain down on Fenders. Don't know about exact taper. It does seem grittier than my BFDR on 3, but I can't get the sound, so I don't worry about the numbers.

3 on the real deluxe = 2.22 on the fractal

.69 on the fractal = 1.62 on the deluxe

try backing the master off of 10 and upping the input drive a little bit

To get a clean tone on the Deluxe Verb model I am having to turn the input drive down to 0.69, I know Blackface Fender Deluxe's break up but they do have a clean tone up to 3 or so the volume don't they? This is with a Fender Strat with single coil pickups.

Remind me, the drive taper on the Axe does't necessarily mean that 3 on the Axe will sound the same as 3 on the amp? or should it?

Don't get me wrong I am getting the tone I want, and adjust the level to boost the volume but am surprised at how low I have to set the input drive to keep it clean, especially on a Fender model.

If you could hear your Fender amp at higher volume as analytical as you can on hear it with lower volume - it would be distorted too. The thing on Fender Amps, especially the so call "king of clean" blackfaces is, that they aren't that clean people always thinking of.....this amp has a very nice break up in real life ;)

How about lowering the input trim to, let's say, 0.5? That should leave space to increase the input drive and the master a little bit!

For a clean Fender sound on my rig, I'm usually running the input volume at 3-4 and the master volume between 8-9. I rarely
touch the input trim.

What Paco said. Also a DR is numbered 1-10 so 3 on a DR is around 2.2 on the Axe-Fx. The model is based on the Vibrato input #1 which has more gain than the normal input. To simulate plugging into the #2 jack (which has half the gain) set Input Trim to 0.5.

Cool - thanks guys, I do love the Deluxe Verb model, humbucker and single coil guitars really sound great, I'm using Factory cab 006 1x12 Black SM57 with quite a bit of low end rolled off in the amp via the GEQ, through an active CLR. My SG in particular sounds very nice.

By the way, here is an example of an original 1967 Deluxe Reverb played clean, driven and with a drive pedal. Sounds great, clean tones at 2-3 on the volume, crunchy on 6. Sounds great, he's playing through Input 1 on the Vibrato channel with a Strat:

I still think the Axe model overdrives a little too quickly, the Line 6 HD model does the same.

Last edited:
So I presume if you're using this video as an example, you surely must be using as much compression as he is the dial-up clean sound yes? Because his clean tone is squish city, which I personally love.

It's an example, I have played through several Reissue Deluxe Reverbs and could get clean up to around 3 on the volume, here's another example:

Last edited:
Is the normal channel on these amps that bad?
Every video I see someone demoing them they are plugged into the Vibrato Channel.

Also, for every amp that has both Normal and Vibrato channels that's been modeled in the AXE, only the vibrato channel is modeled. (Deluxe Reverb, 6G12 CONCERT, 6G4... etc )

Is the normal channel on these amps that bad?
Every video I see someone demoing them they are plugged into the Vibrato Channel.

Also, for every amp that has both Normal and Vibrato channels that's been modeled in the AXE, only the vibrato channel is modeled. (Deluxe Reverb, 6G12 CONCERT, 6G4... etc )

Most players prefer the Vibrato (should be named into Tremolo, because that's what it is) channel because of the reverb effect. This channel has one extra gain stage too ;) The normal channel is not bad, but if you bought a Deluxe "Reverb" you want to use the "Reverb" wouldn't you? ;)

There were several players who prefer a different preamp tube in these amps - 5751 instead of 12AX7 on V2 to lower the gain . Maybe this could be a nice add to the different preamp tube feature ;)

There were several players who prefer a different preamp tube in these amps - 5751 instead of 12AX7 on V2 to lower the gain . Maybe this could be a nice add to the different preamp tube feature ;)

Funny you should mention this , since Cliff released Quantum with the tube options 12ax7a, ecc83,etc I've been thinking it would be awesome to have the option of selecting these for both V1 & V2 ! :)

Agreed about the 5751! And yes, that's a very common tube change, for that exact reason. Best part is, it works!

Both vids above are not clean. They have nice break up. Just different than a Marshall. Try the JTM45 model with various IRs. Keep the bass low, change the power tubes to KT66 and lower the transformer match a little (try the transformer match trick on the Dlx Rvb too).

Raab90 - I have an early silver face Deluxe Reverb. I love both channels a lot. I don't care what anyone says.
I used the normal channel by it self for gigging maybe 60% of the time. I didn't like over drive pedals into the vibrato channel. I thought it sounded bad unless it was a super low gain pedal and you were mainly just doing a clean boost kind of thing.

If I wasn't using mid - high gain over drives I would have been on the vibrato channel most of the time tho just because I do like that reverb.

Back
Top Bottom