Delays Sounding Too Reverbery

I didn't hear much in any of the clips either 😳 - But I still hear it sitting here playing in front of the FRCabs, though less than before now using mono delay - so my best guess now is that what I'm hearing is reflections from my own room that would not be picked up by the mic I used in clips 2/3 above as it is not sensitive to anything more than a foot or two away. Also these different cab types I have are facing in different directions around me, and are at varying heights so the room reflections answer would fit. I've tried treating my assigned mancave corner with cheap foam absorbers but I'm not sure they are doing much to combat some largish aluminim ducts passing above.

Anyway, I'm going with that for now - thanks all for the feedback throughout this adventure.
Happens to me too in an untreated room. Washed out and generally a metallic quality to the sound. Definitely points to your room being an issue.

Hi Sprint, - I suggest using less feedback in the delay block.

Thanks
Pauly

So here are 3 clips each separately re-amp'd from the attached DI into the attached preset (chords thru scene 2, single notes thru scene 3). Reverb is turned off, and the delay is config'd to mono as per Chris' suggestion above (+I've also removed modulation from the delay). Clip1 is direct, clip 2 is mic'd Studio Monitor with a cheapy reference mic @ 8" pointed to center, clip 3 is mic'd FR Cab with same cheapy reference mic @ 8" pointed to center. Guitar is Carvin DC127 using C22 Bridge pup / standard tuning. No other EQing other than making the Direct clip a bit quieter to better match the volume of the other 2. Sorry for crappy playing.

So - does anything sound overly reverbery to anybody? I have a clue as to what's happening but I'll wait for any other thoughts before blabbing on further.

Def a factor 👍 I think - when I switched to the mono digital delay I also reduced the mix a bit and perceived this a bit less using the FRCabs which seem to accentuate it. I'll also try reducing delay times as you suggest (and try to curb my addiction to too much stereo fx).

Thanks for the great feedback.
stereo fx shouldn't be a problem. but delays specifically elongate the sound of notes you play, so delays that "record" for too long just play things back longer.

most rhythm delays are short with a low mix for this reason. some solo tones have the longer delays because of the mostly single note performance.

Thanks for the clips.

With the cab setup, play a single muted staccato note, and then stop. Do you hear a reverb tail?
No - just the delay tail. I think it's a combination of my room, playing ability, delay behaviours as mentioned by Chris and others above, and the differences in the output methods I'm using that seem to create a kind of "distant" / "core tone not very present / fx more present" effect in the sound in the room, but obviously not at all showing up in recorded sounds - this last one I'm quite surprised by in the clips above as I though I had my FR Cabs responding somewhat closely to my studio monitors. I mean, I know they should be somewhat different (more aitr like) but I'm surprised they are that different as evidenced in those recordings given my efforts a while ago to eq them flatter (though I did get them translating well across my varied presets which was a step forward - prior to that I rarely even fired them up) - I may be wasting further effort on these cabs given the dated design - thinking I'll try some triple cones in them - see if I can get an increment of improvement.

Thanks for your feedback

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom