Not a Bug Delays and Logic

Daz Boot

Hi,

I have an axe fx 2 mkII going into Logic Pro 9 via a Focusrite Saffire interface. My delay modulation is being affected when I play/record to a track in Logic. I can see that it is changing the tempo on the axe to match the Logic session but the BPM difference doesn't seem to account for the way the delay pattern changes.

I'm running a patch with 2 delays in series (1 set at 1/4, other 1/8) and it sounds like they're being halved to something like 1/4 + 1/2. When I refresh the patch it's back fine until the session dictates the tempo again.

I haven't read anything about this so hopefully someone's had this and can point me in the right direction.

is the Axe connected via USB or MIDI?

Hi Chris!

I'm using the XLR's on Output 1 to send audio from the axe to the Focusrite. I have the USB connected just to use axe edit. No MIDI connects at all.

The only other stuff going on is I have a analogue send/return for re-amping but, I'll get the problem even when that's not armed in Logic. Not sure if it could be word clock or sync related?

The Axe may be receiving MIDI over the USB connection. Unplug the Axe USB as a test and see if it still happens. If it does, you need to find out what is being sent, or change MIDI channels, etc.

The Axe may be receiving MIDI over the USB connection. Unplug the Axe USB as a test and see if it still happens. If it does, you need to find out what is being sent, or change MIDI channels, etc.

Yep, only happens when the USB is attached. The more I poke about I think I must just be hearing the delays in a weird phasey way when running at the slower session tempo. It's probably operator error but I'll try a few other patches and see if the doubt persists

Cheers!

are you trying to sync the axe and logic? It’s not clear from your original post...

Sync the axe from the Logic session. Because I have it all travelling via the Focusrite/mix control and set for re-amping, I was pretty sure something was conflicting or getting corrupted along the way, clock/sync/sample rate etc but I think its just simply the delays freaking me out once synced to Logic

i'd do a simple test. with everything connected, open a new logic session and set the tempo to something like 60 and see if the axe tempo also reads 60. then change the session tempo to 130 and see if the axe matches. if so, then you know sync is working.
if the axe is set to a tempo that is very different from the logic tempo,, then it may take a moment for the axe to change to the session tempo. if the delays are audible during this time, you might hear some strange artefacts.

btw, if the session tempo doesn't change, then there's actually no need to use sync at all. just set the tempo on the axe to match the session tempo and off you go

btw, if the session tempo doesn't change, then there's actually no need to use sync at all. just set the tempo on the axe to match the session tempo and off you go

It's confirmed. Operator error. I ran it through a new session and couldn't replicate the problem. Turns out I had some delay automation on my guitar bus that I hadn't removed when I created a new session template. I was switching monitoring between pre/post Logic processing and just couldn't put my finger on what I was hearing. Axe - 1, Operator - 0.

Thanks for the responses and advice! I'm in love with this thing but it does get me stroking my chin a lot so, please forgive me!

Cheers, D

Back
Top Bottom