Delayed sound when strumming strings (fixed)

Habuman

Power User
Hi,

I just pick up a Axe FX II the other day. Every now and then, when changing between presets or just not playing for awhile, the signal starts to become a delayed reaction.

When I strum the strings there will be no sound from the speakers. A second later the sound will finally come out of the speaker. I'm not changing any settings, just changing from one preset to the next.

Any idea what is causing this? I have downloaded the latest firmware and driver. I going from Axe to Mac via USB.

Thanks,

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the Axe-Edit when this happens. I'll be recording a song using Logic Pro X and occasionally when I change the amp preset I get the delayed sound.

Must have been something in Logic. I went through everyone preset using Axe-Edit while plugged into my power amp and speakers. No problem.

I'm using the Axe-Edit when this happens. I'll be recording a song using Logic Pro X and occasionally when I change the amp preset I get the delayed sound.
How are you changing presets? If you're using a MIDI pedal while connected to Axe-Edit, there will be a dropout while Axe-Edit loads in the data from the preset.

How are you changing presets? If you're using a MIDI pedal while connected to Axe-Edit, there will be a dropout while Axe-Edit loads in the data from the preset.

I have the same problem with Logic Pro X using the USB input. Works great for 5-10 minutes then everything is delayed. Very annoying. Stays that way until I close Logic and restart the Axe FX II.

Richard

I have the same problem with Logic Pro X using the USB input. Works great for 5-10 minutes then everything is delayed. Very annoying. Stays that way until I close Logic and restart the Axe FX II.
When that happens to me in a DAW, it's usually because I'm monitoring the mix instead of the channel.

If I understand the OP correctly, the problem reported was a dropout, not a delay.

In LOGIC, go into Preferences. Go to GENERAL. Turn off "SOFTWARE MONITORING". Now, plug another amp into the output of the Axe FX or maybe a 2nd set of computer speakers to the Headphone out or something. You can listen to your backing track through your main computer speakers or studio monitors, and then have your separate amp source playing the Axe FX directly from the Axe FX itself.

If you are able to have a 2 source configuration like I've described, you can also increase the buffer to max and keep the correction for latency setting enabled. This will ensure the best tracking and sound alignment when you record. If you are keeping the buffer at max, you'll also be able to run the most number of tracks with the most plug-ins when you playback or mix your project without getting CPU overload in your MAC.

In my case, I am low-tech, so I've got the Macpro headphone out going into a stereo boom-box (not into studio monitors), where I hear the backing track and click. I use the amp and speaker models in the Axe FX and the USB into the Mac. I keep a Marshall combo plugged into the main out 1/4" of the Axe. Yes, this means, I'm amplifying a speaker simulated sound into a Marshall combo - so it sounds less than accurate. But it simply allows me to monitor what I am playing, use controlled feedback for sustain, and keep the "software monitoring" setting in LOGIC, turned off.

If you use the method I'm describing, in audio preferences, make sure the input is AXE, and the output is the built in output. If you start playing, and you hear the whole track and the click track through the speakers that you've connected to the output of the Axe, you've forgotten to change the output to "built in output" in audio preferences.

I don't get that delay loop issue that you are describing...anymore.

When that happens to me in a DAW, it's usually because I'm monitoring the mix instead of the channel.

If I understand the OP correctly, the problem reported was a dropout, not a delay.

I must have misunderstood his post.

Anyway, thanks for the insight. Can you elaborate on the monitoring the mix versus monitoring the channel? I am a complete newbie to Logic.

Richard

Can you elaborate on the monitoring the mix versus monitoring the channel? I am a complete newbie to Logic.
Check out the post right above yours by rodzimguitar68. It directly addresses your question.

Oh, I thought there was a way of doing it without another amp. I just play around these days so getting rid of my amp was the reason for getting the Axe FX II. I like being able play through the speakers attached to my Mac using just the Axe FX II USB connection. It is simple and quick. Not sure what the issue is with Logic. It works with Garageband with no problem. I just have to make sure feedback protection is turned off.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom