Delay type

Fab8040

Experienced
Hi guys.. What is the difference between the vintage digital and the mono bbd in the delay block? Is the vintage digital a sort of boss dd3? But the Japan dd3 didnt have the bucket brigade chip inside? Thanks

Bucket brigade is an analog method, not digital, as far as I'm aware... Aside from that, the Blocks Guide has descriptions:

7A2F3E33-6E2E-48EE-A4FF-DC6DF5DF46A0.jpeg

Bucket brigade is an analog method, not digital, as far as I'm aware... Aside from that, the Blocks Guide has descriptions:

View attachment 87597
Thank you i was aware about that.. I read the manual but i m not able to understand the difference.. It would be easier for me to know if the boss dd2 or dd3 have the specs of one of the two...

Thank you i was aware about that.. I read the manual but i m not able to understand the difference.. It would be easier for me to know if the boss dd2 or dd3 have the specs of one of the two...
I can't answer that... Because I don't know and I have no experience with the Boss delays. Both are digital delays so one of the Digital models is probably most appropriate.

As @Dave Merrill says it's all about how it sounds. If there is a particular character those pedals have you will likely get there by adjusting the EQ section.

The difference in general is that BBD delays attempt to maintain fidelity (there is some loss) and the vintage delay is designed to be lo-fi (as described above).

Sorry, if I'm missing the intent of your question. As @Dave Merrill stated, just trust your ears.

EDIT: Aren't both of those Boss delays digital?

EDIT #2: Okay, I think I better understand what you are asking after going and messing around with them. The Vintage Digital is just that, it's a "pristine" digital delay with bit reduction. The BBD delay was originally developed to compete with tape delays so you get a much warmer sound. It works sort of like a flip cartoon book and the idea was to get very closely spaced sound samples to repeat (thus the loss of fidelity). So, if you want a warmer sounding delay use the BBD.

Last edited:
Warmer can be achieved by using the EQ section in any delay type. The degradation is the biggest difference between digital and BBD, I think.
True, but just listening to them and knowing the history of BBD, it sounds warmer off the bat. There is definitely some common ground. The degradation sounds pretty similar IMO.

Thank you guys for the replies... I know the boss are digital but the dd2 and japan dd3 was known for being very warm sound to be digital.. So my question was essentially for fractal engineers in order to know if the vintage delay for example was be designed being inspired by the boss or something else or was just a new alghorithm.

I’d guess the vintage digital is based on early rack mounted digital delays with the typical “crunchy” 12 bit digital sound.

they stuff went out of fashion as higher bit rate and more pristine and realistic effects came along but there has been a big resurgence in interest in that 80’s character those early delays and reverbs etc provide

I’d guess the vintage digital is based on early rack mounted digital delays with the typical “crunchy” 12 bit digital sound.

they stuff went out of fashion as higher bit rate and more pristine and realistic effects came along but there has been a big resurgence in interest in that 80’s character those early delays and reverbs etc provide
Well you should be right.. I opened a thread about the chandler rack delay and M@administrator suggest me to start with the vintage digital to reproduce that sound..

Back
Top Bottom