Delay Tempo oddity

APE

Inspired
When I use Delay and specify tempo of 4, is it supposed to be 16 beats? Because I am counting fifteen!

1 - 2 - 3 - 4
2 - 2 - 3 - 4
3 - 2 - 3 - 4
4 - 2 - 3 - 4

I play low E string on each pulse of the "TAP" light.
I count out loud "one two three four, two two three four…"
When I get the "four" on the last measure, the loop begins again.

Instead, I think it should wait until the next beat, "one" of the fifth measure. But it doesn't. Why not? And how do I change it do to what I want?

When I use Delay and specify tempo of 4, is it supposed to be 16 beats? Because I am counting fifteen!

1 - 2 - 3 - 4
2 - 2 - 3 - 4
3 - 2 - 3 - 4
4 - 2 - 3 - 4

Instead, I think it should wait until the next beat, "one" of the fifth measure. But it doesn't. Why not? And how do I change it do to what I want?
Tempo is the subdivision of time. There is no "loop", and the number of repeats is not relative to tempo.

If you want more repeats then increase the Feedback parameter.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4
2 - 2 - 3 - 4
3 - 2 - 3 - 4
4 - 2 - 3 - 4

What is a “tempo of 4”?

a Delay effect doesn't "repeat a note a certain number of times." it repeats a note that fades away over time. it's not a specific number of repeats.

Tempo does not mean "number of repeats." it means the tempo of the repeat.

i believe one of the advanced Delay blocks does have a specific feature for "repeat x amount of times."

Last edited:
Here is a screenshot:upload_2018-12-3_8-13-8.png

The delay's "tempo" is "4". "TAP" is 112.

Play one note per tap
Axe fx will begin repeating on the first note you played when you play the fifteenth note.

I'd like it to begin on the sixteenth note, making it an even four bar delay.

upload_2018-12-3_14-3-42.png

Here is a screenshot:View attachment 51016

The delay's "tempo" is "4". "TAP" is 112.

Play one note per tap
Axe fx will begin repeating on the first note you played when you play the fifteenth note.

I'd like it to begin on the sixteenth note, making it an even four bar delay.

View attachment 51033
"Tempo" and "Tap" used together just set the delay's millisecond timing. you can see that it's maxed out at 8000ms.

a tempo of "4" means 4 bars - that's a very, very long time. i don't think 8000 milliseconds (8 seconds) is long enough for that.

so this isn't a bug or anything - you're just wanting the delay to be much longer than it can be. this is probably not the intented use of this block. i'm not sure if any other delay blocks have a longer delay time than 8000 ms.

Note that the Tempo value is the subdivision relative to the actual tempo (global or preset). Here is the chart from the manual:

CCEC6E7E-533A-47D6-9EE7-506E9EC68B76.jpeg

Again, Feedback controls repeats... But they all reduce over time.

And you have Mix above 50% which will affect your dry signal different than when below 50%.

I bet you exceeded the maximum time!!!! Check the number of milliseconds shown and do the math: set it to 1/4 and multiply by 16 to compare.

Back
Top Bottom