Wish Delay repeat clearing

This is something I've wanted also. Being able to tell the unit how quickly to squelch the repeats would be nice too. Sometimes it'd be nice to kill them immediately, other times I think it'd be useful to just reduce them more quickly than they'd normally decay leaving a quieter delay to decay normally.
Momentary CS to reduce feedback?

That'd do it, but how to set it up? The same delay but with a reduced feedback?
To speed the exit of delay repeats, cut feedback some. To end them when the buffer is spent, cut it to zero. Hold for a bit to ensure it is empty. You' have to wait that long to restart the delay, but it is all we have at the moment.

I did the opposite in my rig. I set up a feedback spike on a momentary, with an odd curve and asymmetrical attack/decay to give a quick stab of echoes that is good for covering the end of a solo or for making spacey noises....

if delay time snaps to minimum on the same switch you don't have to wait for the buffer to drain
Might work if the delay is already out of the mix, but switching the delay time otherwise will make audible noises as the delay time changes.

I have a momentary flange effect that uses the LFO to be able to do a triggered-sweep that always starts at the same point in the sweep. It is triggered by a control switch, and I had to play with the release time on the LFO to make sure it reset after the audio output was shut off, to prevent a 'doo-wip' from the LFO sweeping the delay in the flanger. Zeroing the delay will likely have a similar problem to work around....

This didn't work the last time I checked on the Axe-FX II. Lowering time doesn't clear what's already written to the buffer.

old algorithm slid the time, new algorithm switches between two delays so tap tempo adjustments don't whack the pitch around, but if you attach a controller to the time knob it will still slide the time pitch-wise..."The original algorithm simply slid to the new time which would cause pitch shift. People complained vociferously since tapping in a new tempo would cause a pitch glitch. The new algorithm does not do this. It treats time/tempo changes as "requests" and cross-fades between two delays running simultaneously". there's always a way to do it. a "wipe" button would be handy, on reverbs too, just imagine

old algorithm slid the time, new algorithm switches between two delays so tap tempo adjustments don't whack the pitch around, but if you attach a controller to the time knob it will still slide the time pitch-wise..."The original algorithm simply slid to the new time which would cause pitch shift. People complained vociferously since tapping in a new tempo would cause a pitch glitch. The new algorithm does not do this. It treats time/tempo changes as "requests" and cross-fades between two delays running simultaneously". there's always a way to do it. a "wipe" button would be handy, on reverbs too, just imagine
Yes but sliding vs. crossfading doesn't have anything to do with clearing the buffer. When time returns to the higher value, let's say 2 seconds, you're hearing what was fed to the buffer 2 seconds ago.

Yes but sliding vs. crossfading doesn't have anything to do with clearing the buffer. When time returns to the higher value, let's say 2 seconds, you're hearing what was fed to the buffer 2 seconds ago.

the time knob scales the whole buffer if you have it attached to a controller, so if the time knob and feedback knob both got snapped to minimum 1ms and 0%, after 1ms the buffer would be empty, anything that was even 16 seconds long got scaled to 1ms and already did its 1 repeat

the time knob scales the whole buffer if you have it attached to a controller, so if the time knob and feedback knob both got snapped to minimum 1ms and 0%, after 1ms the buffer would be empty, anything that was even 16 seconds long got scaled to 1ms and already did its 1 repeat
Most delays don't work like that on the Axe-FX. If it was scaling the whole buffer there would be no need to slide/crossfade taps for different times. If you dropped ingain & feedback to 0 for some time (say 100 ms) you've only made the most recent 100 ms of the buffer silent. The time setting doesn't matter.

Mono tape delay is the only type where you could scale something (motor speed) to clear the buffer faster, but that would be several times faster, not several thousand times.

So: no real workarounds, or certainly not as simple and reproducible as a "Clear Buffer Now" switch?

if you attach a modifier to the time knob of any delay it will scale the whole buffer for pitch effects when the modifier changes the delay time

I've tried finagling modifiers such that the buffer is cleared (by means of feedback reduction) and the input to the delay is suspended when the delayed time is reduced faster than a certain rate in order to duplicate an Echoplex when the record head is moved toward the play head faster than the tape speed. No luck after several years of attempts. Essential behavior for a hyperspace pedal. Universal Audio's Echoplex plug-in is the only thing I've tried that comes close.

Not all. Many digital delays don't change the pitch at all when you modify the delay time.

that's correct, if you change the delay time by hand.

if you attach a modifier to the delay time, on any delay type, the buffer is scaled when the modifier changes the delay time, and the pitch of whatever is in the buffer is shifted. when the delay time, of any delay type, is changed by a modifier

that's correct, if you change the delay time by hand.

if you attach a modifier to the delay time, on any delay type, the buffer is scaled when the modifier changes the delay time, and the pitch of whatever is in the buffer is shifted. when the delay time, of any delay type, is changed by a modifier
Delay "type", meaning only the Axe-FX? Your original post said "any delay". I've used many delays that zippered or crossfaded the signal when using a modifier. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding.

Back
Top Bottom