Wish Delay repeat clearing

stereotactic

Experienced
It would be great to be able to clear the repeats in the delay line with say, a hold function of an FC switch. There are plenty of times when I will have a bunch of built up repeats that I want to stop so I can start another delayed passage. As far as I know this cannot be done except by switching presets or deleting the delay block.

It would be great to be able to clear the repeats in the delay line with say, a hold function of an FC switch. There are plenty of times when I will have a bunch of built up repeats that I want to stop so I can start another delayed passage. As far as I know this cannot be done except by switching presets or deleting the delay block.
Bypass mode set to Mute Fx Out, then bypass the Delay block.

But if I put it back in again a few seconds later and have a high feedback %, there may still be some repeats left in the line, right?
I'm not sure... Give it a shot.

Alternately, what about using a 2nd channel on the Delay block with same settings but no Feedback, then just change channels?

There needs to be the selectable ability for the buffer to clear when the block is bypassed, like any other delay unit. There isn't a way to do quick on-off using long feedback tails or high feedback, you have to turn time and feedback down and let the buffer empty itself. I say selectable ability because I have found a use for the way it is now, with long feedback tape delay and analog chorus you can turn everything off, play a quiet instrumental section dry, then switch everything back on and it's still echoing out to the horizon, sounding like a fading memory of something you heard somewhere before. That's cool, but I need to be able to have the feedback on 100%, switch it on, let it run snarling toward the fence and then cut it off right before the speakers blow, then switch it on and do it again real quick, starting with an empty buffer.

If you're using the delay block with feedback maxed and manipulating the time knob for effect, there is a point in the FAS delay where if feedback is maxed and the time gets too short, the buffer fills up and overloads and no more delay signal is audible. The only way to clear the buffer is to manually turn feedback back down to empty the buffer. It's akin to what the reverb block used to do right before it would crash when moving size too small, until the solution to just deactivate size below 6.2 and set a fixed pre-delay was implemented as a padded corner for little richard reverb to bump into...

There needs to be the selectable ability for the buffer to clear when the block is bypassed, like any other delay unit. There isn't a way to do quick on-off using long feedback tails or high feedback, you have to turn time and feedback down and let the buffer empty itself. I say selectable ability because I have found a use for the way it is now, with long feedback tape delay and analog chorus you can turn everything off, play a quiet instrumental section dry, then switch everything back on and it's still echoing out to the horizon, sounding like a fading memory of something you heard somewhere before. That's cool, but I need to be able to have the feedback on 100%, switch it on, let it run snarling toward the fence and then cut it off right before the speakers blow, then switch it on and do it again real quick, starting with an empty buffer.

I'm running into this problem at the moment. +1 for the addition of a 'clear memory' button / bypass mode.

+1

I was just burned by this (my fault cause I know it will happen). The singer was talking in between songs and I selected my "swell" scene, and the stored delays and reverb? spilled out in a very noticeable way.

I think the buffer should automatically clear at the moment the block is disabled or another channel is selected, unless spill-over is on.

If you use a control switch as delay bypass and master feedback modifier (100% engaged, 0% bypassed) there won't be any signal in the buffer once it's bypassed for the current delay time.

Another option could be to switch to reverse type and back, which clears the buffer. One way might be to have a channel as reverse at 0% mix and use that as the "bypass" state, then set up channel toggles like A/D, B/D, C/D, D being the reverse type.

I tried using Delay 2 for my swell scene by making channel A a reverse type, channel D as the swell. I then tried to control which Delay block was passing audio by using the two scene modifiers. I could get it to work visually in axe edit, but the sound didn't change. And I proved it would change if I removed the modifiers and changed the values manually. There must still be a problem with certain modifiers not working. I'm running the latest beta firmware (1.06?).

Edit - thank you, @Bakerman.

+1, in every delay (and reverb) block channel, something like:

Buffer/Spillover Clear Mode: Off, Once, On Bypass, On Engage, On State Change

Off = Default current behavior (buffer is paused if leaving similar block type or else processed (tails) if same block is selected elsewhere)​
Once = Triggers immediate buffer clear. To trigger again, switch to Off then Once.​
On Bypass = Buffer is cleared (current content) on channel bypass, channel deselected, or exiting the preset​
On Engage = Buffer is cleared (old content) when channel selected or engaged (including entering the preset)​
On State Change = Buffer is cleared on any state channel state change (e.g. bypass, engage, exit, entry)​

Last edited:
until then, as a workaround, simply changing to the next preset and going back again will do it (as long as spillover is off)

Bumping this (for all delays and reverbs) as it seems relevant given all the updates.

I would love ability to specify states or state changes in which it would be cleared. I made a suggestion above but maybe it could be simplified and still do all those things.

This is something I've wanted also. Being able to tell the unit how quickly to squelch the repeats would be nice too. Sometimes it'd be nice to kill them immediately, other times I think it'd be useful to just reduce them more quickly than they'd normally decay leaving a quieter delay to decay normally.

Back
Top Bottom