Delay Question

Axeman

Experienced
I heard an amazing clip of a delay setting that was done with computer software (S-Gear VST plugin). The delay setting knob screen shot is attached.

I'm going to try to get the same effect with the Axe-Fx but am having trouble translating the effect setting description from the VST plugin manual into which Axe parameters to use.

Here is the description from the VST delay manual and I'm focused on the stereo mode:

Feedback control:
The Feedback action depends on the chosen mode (Mono, Stereo or Tap. See the "MONO/ST/TAP" knob)
In Mono mode the feedback is centered with the delay.
In Stereo mode, the left and right sides have independent feedback loops, if the stereo width is set high, this can give the delay a lot of movement across the stereo field as the sound decays.
In Tap mode, the feedback comes from the master delay time and is more ‘symmetrical’ as it bounces from left to right.

Width control:
In MONO delay mode, this knob is a Pan control to position the delay output in the stereo mix.
In the STEREO delay modes (ST or TAP), adjusting this control varies the stereo width of the delay by altering the left delay time as a percentage of the right. With the control at minimum it is 100%, so the delay time will be the same on both sides mono.
Turning the control clockwise gradually modifies the left delay time until at maximum it is at 50% of the right (master) delay time giving a true left/right ‘ping pong’ effect.

I've attached a clip of the nice stereo effect that I would like to reproduce. The effect I'm referring to is more noticeable with headphones. Note the repeat seems subtly panned to the right and almost more prominent in the mix but I'm certain the repeat mix volume is NOT higher than the dry signal. This is a dotted 8th note in the clip. It's as if the repeated note is a separate track. There is an amazing spacial quality about the repeats here.

The descriptions above are not very clear as to what the controls do (whereas Fractal's manual is more techical and clear about what each parameter does). Does anyone have any thoughts on how the feedback and width controls in stereo mode above translate into Axe-Fx parameters? It might not be possible but I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance!

[SOUNDCLOUD]

Attachments

• S-Gear Delay.jpg
    S-Gear Delay.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 26
Michael,

Your ears are always way better than mine, have you been able to mess with the L/R Time Ratio and Width at all to get the desired effect in a stereo delay on the axe? I know you can adjust feedback L or R independently in stereo mode.

Will try to fiddle tomorrow.

Last edited:
So you still haven't found what you're looking for? :D

Try a Digital Stereo delay and set the L/R Time Ratio to something slightly less than 100%. Here's an example with a 95% setting:

Preset attached. It's based off the very excellent Nameless Streets preset in the factory bundle. I just stereo'ed it up with two amps and the digital stereo delay.

Attachments

• Still Searching.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom