Delay into Reverb?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So historically I've not been much of a Reverb user. Instead, I've tended to be a "delay always on" kind of guitarist.

However, over recent years of using the Axe Fx I have incorporated a mild reverb into my presets in addition to (currently) a dual delay similar to Andy Timmons. The reverb has become crucial to having a usable sound in IEMs, because otherwise the sound is too "direct".

I've been running both serially so that delay feeds into the reverb.

Lately I've had the desire to increase the reverb, but I've found this to obscure the delay.

I experimented a bit with running the reverb parallel to the delay, which eliminated the problem, but also adds back some of the "directness". I found I could add a bit of diffusion to the delay to mask this a bit.

So I then set the reverb on a parallel chain but still getting input from the delay so there is both a direct delay and a reverberated one. This seems to be the best choice for me so far... But I have to test in band context.

Looking for alternative ideas or input I can apply to see how they work for me.

Go!

The last couple of years I’ve gone the parallel route for delay and reverb, otherwise I found that the delay trails got lost in the mix if they also had reverb on. I guess it’s down to the style of music and band, I have a very full band normally and the mix gets very busy; so I tend to build my patches to stand out more.

If I wanted a more atmospheric sound, then I use a patch with the delay and reverb in series. For me it’s more down to the application rather than what I personally prefer to have as I’m competing with a lot of frequencies most times.

I don’t use the diffusion parameter, but I do love a wide, stereo delay which makes it less direct in your ears. And I Use the PEQ in the delay block to remove some of the highs to warm it up a little too.

Back
Top Bottom