Bug? Delay hold

The hold function defeats the inputs of the delay and captures the feedback loop, but the feedback loop still includes components that can degrade the signal on every pass through. Make sure drive, diffusion and bit reduction are all set to zero.

If you're using a tape algorithm, the head block is in the feedback loop and will continue to smear the sound just like real tape heads do so hold will never produce a non-degrading signal with these algorithms.

Edit: hmm. Can you even set the EQ on the delay completely flat? Wonder if that's the problem?

Edit edit: yea, playing around with it here I feel like it's the not-completely-flat EQ that's shaving just a bit off on each repeat. I can certainly get a long hold going but it's not infinite.

Edit edit edit: actually, I think I'm wrong. The attached block certainly holds a high frequency signal constant for longer than I cared to continue listening to it (like many minutes).

Attachments

• Infinite Hold_20170810_164439.blk
    599 bytes · Views: 7
Last edited:
Even at its best, I could never get the Hold to work like "Hold" does on some other products. Hold on some other products seems to play back the contents of the buffer repeatedly, like a looped sample rather than a feedback signal, with no degradation. The onset of Hold on the Axe also has a lump I have never encountered with other delays. It is what it is. It is not a bug. It's the way it is designed.

@steadystate i don't experience a lump.

You bring up a good point though: there's a looper in the unit if a loop is what you want.

I don't really know what people who say it isn't working correctly are looking for. Maybe they can post some examples of how they use other hold delays?

I think the "lump" steadystate mentioned is a dip that gives a pulsing effect, like the first half of this clip. The cause seems to be linear fades on input gain & feedback. The second half of the clip (created in DAW) is an example of how more complementary log fades would sound.

UDU5Klk.png

A looper isn't practical as a delay hold. What I'm looking for is a hold that does not introduce amplitude fluctuations when engaged, and does not degrade over time. This assumes a constant-amplitude input signal, since a decaying signal can cause a pulse even with a perfect hold.

Good old "infinite repeats"
Circa 1985 Delta Lab 1024

Perhaps not a bug per say, but just the way it was implemented.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom