Delay glitch when using stereo output with Midi Time Clock

I'm using my FM3 with Ableton (on a Macbook) to sync with multitracks. It works great for changing presets and scenes via midi triggers, however the tempo sync, where Ableton is the master sending tempo info to the FM3 for tap tempo is causing wierd digital artifacts with the delay.

The stranger thing is that it is ONLY causing this issue in one output when using stereo.

On this recording, you'll hear me demonstrating the problem. Ableton is playing (problem doesn't happen if Ableton is stopped) and the delay block is making laser sounding artifacts only in one speaker in this stereo mix.

This is the screenshot of my Ableton tempo sync settings. I'm using a USB Uno Midi interface.
Here is the audio test. First note was played without Ableton playing. The rest are with Ableton playing. That's when you'll hear the artifacts.

https://on.soundcloud.com/uRgNc

Attachments

• FM3-Tempo-Sync-in-Ableton.png
    FM3-Tempo-Sync-in-Ableton.png
    422.9 KB · Views: 3
Some delays will intentionality have artifacts when changing tempo. This replicates real-world behavior.

I'm using my FM3 with Ableton (on a Macbook) to sync with multitracks. It works great for changing presets and scenes via midi triggers, however the tempo sync, where Ableton is the master sending tempo info to the FM3 for tap tempo is causing wierd digital artifacts with the delay.
That's to be expected. You're loading the delay buffer at a very low tempo, then making an extreme increase in tempo, so you'll get artifacts. It would be nice if there was a way to clear the Axe-FX delay buffer at the start of playback.That has been wished for many times, but no dice.

The artifacts, if you listen to the Sound Cloud, aren’t caused by tempo changes.
You can tell that how?

A large or rapid change in tempo can cause them.

Midi beat clock isn't always stable. You can bring up the Tempo page on the Axe Fx and watch it "jitter" while it's being sync'd.
I’m not sure it’s limited to a specific delay type. I’ll see if I can find a correlation the next time it occurs. I often use ST Tape delays and the Deluxe Memory Man.
Tape Delay definitely has artifacts from tempo changes...

You can tell that how?

Midi beat clock isn't always stable. You can bring up the Tempo page on the Axe Fx and watch it "jitter" while it's being sync'd.

I can tell that because the Ableton song doesn’t have tempo CHANGES. It locks into a tempo and stays put. The artifacts happen all throughout while the song is playing back. Ableton is using a tempo track and I can see the tempo it is sending on the screen.

But, I’ll bring up the tempo section on the FM3 and check as you suggest. I have not done that. Without having two computers, I’ll have to check the tempo directly on the FM3 as opposed to the editor.

You can tell that how?

Is there a global setting on the Fractal to turn off the artifacts that tape and analog delays can have when their tempos are changed dramatically?

Midi clock is dated way to long. I use ableton with clock sent to the ax and quad cortex. Both capture it but both also have issues at times.

I can tell that because the Ableton song doesn’t have tempo CHANGES. It locks into a tempo and stays put. The artifacts happen all throughout while the song is playing back. Ableton is using a tempo track and I can see the tempo it is sending on the screen.
Keep in mind that Live is not sending a tempo. It is sending clock pulses and the FM3 is doing its best to compute a tempo from that. There are various things that could interfere with that computation. IOW just watching the tempo display in Live doesn’t tell you if it’s sending the right thing to the FM3.

But, I’ll bring up the tempo section on the FM3 and check as you suggest.
You will likely be surprised...
Is there a global setting on the Fractal to turn off the artifacts that tape and analog delays can have when their tempos are changed dramatically?
Not that I've seen. They are there because they are emulating real world devices.

I think some (all?) of the digital types don't do this but I'm not 100%.

Also, just curious, are you the OP but posting under a different id? The thread was posted by @Greg Jones... But your responses sound as if the audio is yours.

You will likely be surprised...

Not that I've seen. They are there because they are emulating real world devices.

I think some (all?) of the digital types don't do this but I'm not 100%.

Also, just curious, are you the OP but posting under a different id? The thread was posted by @Greg Jones... But your responses sound as if the audio is yours.
I'm the original poster. I only have one login to this forum AFAIK......

Back
Top Bottom