Delay feedback controls explained?

rayza

first post.. Hey.

I've had an ax8 for a few months now, and love it, but i feel i have a bit of a 'newbie' question..

Can anyone explain to me the function / reason the way the delay feedback controls are the way that they are?
I get that the master feedback is there to be able to achieve oscillation, but why does the regular feedback go from -100% to +100%?

I'm not new to modelers or effects in general, I've had a helix, the big strymons and various other bits of kit with no problem navigating and building tones with, and I can still get tones I love from the ax8, but I'd like to understand a bit deeper on how things work.

Cheers

G'day Ryazan &'welcome!
The feedback control sends the echo back to it,s input ..put....put...put.. :)
I think (must admit to a bit of speculation here but someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the negative values send out of phase signal back, whereas positive values are in phase. No feedback means just one repeat..eat.
Thanks
Pauly

Welcome to the forum rayza!

Pauly has the right idea in the post above. The Ax-Fx II manual goes into more detail regarding effects blocks and parameters than the AX8 manual, so it might be worth downloading that and having a read if you're interested in the deeper stuff.

From the Axe-Fx II manual:

MSTR FDBK
Master Feedback scales any and all feedback parameters on PG2 of the Delay. Note that the
range of this control is 0 – 200%, making it possible (easy, in fact) to “overload” the feedback loop.

FEEDBK
Sets the amount of delay feedback (a.k.a. regeneration) to determine the number of repeats.
Negative values phase invert the signal in the feedback loop.

Thanks for the replies. I’m a bit of a delay fiend so I’m definitely familiar with what a normal feedback control does. Phase inversion on negative values was the answer I was after. Much appreciated!
Thanks for the tip on the axe2 manual too, I’ll check it out.

Back
Top Bottom