Delay Designer

Combining a delay block with the feedback send and return blocks opens up some wild possibilities for creating your own custom delay tones. Here's a few examples inspired by the design of old rack delays - I'm sure those with a more intimate knowledge of those old designs could create fast more accurate recreations, but I really enjoyed the creative tangents this sent me on.

I REALLY enjoyed this!
Quite fascinating as I'm not much of a 'knowledgeable about effects' person.

If you haven't already, I wish you'd do something on the Synth block.

I think I'm beginning to learn from you now: the other evening I tried Octave Distortion > Pitch Shifter > Bitt Crusher, to try and make a naughtier Octave Distortion and it worked. Y'know, using your principle of making something dirrrtier.

Great vid.

Some of us have just recently jumped on the Fractal Bus (Train) so even old ideas are new :). Please keep these great ideas coming!
Thank you Leon and to whomever posted the original presets. I would buy this information and here you are giving it away for free. Such a generous spirit. Peace!

PS. I think a course collaboration between Leon, Cooper Carter and Austin Buddy on AxeFx FX tips and tricks would be great.

Last edited:
@2112 Leon is for sure the 2020 TOP Community Knowledge Contributor!!! I am constantly learning something new and interesting with your videos.
This video also opened my eyes to do the same approach over Chorus (and other) effects. I was imagining that the pre-amp/compressor character of the Boss CE1 would be mimic in that sense.

Last edited:
Been trying this this evening, but no matter how I set the level of the return, it makes no difference in feedback. And when I put a humanizer in there, it self oscillated quickly

Leon, you are really a genius in inspiring people to try out new things. Thank you very much!

This is very cool, Leon. Used to be a half rack of gear, a patch bay and five channels of console to have this much fun!

Thanks, as always, for pushing the envelope in fun ways and sharing what you learn.

This same approach has great results with the pitch block. Stereo Detuned Pitches with slightly different delay times (25 ms left, 33 ms right), then feedback. It can really get lush if you use a couple of LFOs to slowly and slightly vary the L and R Detune amounts in the pitch block. H3000 on Steroids!
That’s what I do to get the black hole kind of vibe.

i'm planning a deep dive video into the synth block
Excellent, Simeon.
It's one of those blocks, I just don't understand.
All I know is they make synth sounds using noises, [pink, white, etc] or use oscillators? Probably envelopes and filtering as well.
You get additive, subtractive and granular synthesis?
But that's all, and it would fit on a postage stamp if could write small enough!

i'm planning a deep dive video into the synth block

Can't wait for this!

This same approach has great results with the pitch block. Stereo Detuned Pitches with slightly different delay times (25 ms left, 33 ms right), then feedback. It can really get lush if you use a couple of LFOs to slowly and slightly vary the L and R Detune amounts in the pitch block. H3000 on Steroids!

This is really tasty. I subbed the Pitch detune for the Plex Detune it's wild - adding some allpass filters to the chain is interesting too.

Back
Top Bottom