Delay Block Update

Will the compander work similarly to the Schaffer circuit? If so, could that be ported to the Compressor block as well?
To expound:
The first step in adding compansion to the delay block was creating a compander algorithm. So I created a Compander type first in the Compressor block. Once that was working I used that algorithm in the Delay block.

The Compander allows you to set the Ratio, Time, Transients and Level. Turn Transients down and the attack is reduced, turn it up and the attack is enhanced. You can use it with kick drum to enhance the punch, put it on vocals to reduce plosives, etc.

I've read some stuff claiming the Delay block isn't "colorful" enough so I'm updating it.

I've added an optional "Compander" to simulate the noise reduction used in those old BBD delays with the NE570/SA571 chip. I've also improved the algorithm and the types to give things a bit more character. You can even adjust the compander time constant and "mismatch" between the compressor and expander to adjust the amount of grunge and transient distortion.
Awesome! Ive been using 2 compressor blocks for companding my delays when needed, will be nice to save 2 blocks of cpu. Never thought the delay sounded bad, but improvements are always welcome!

would it be possible to add the Bit Reduction parameter to ALL types of delays? not just the regular delay block, but also MultiTap, Plex, 10 Tap etc. ? wouldbe so cool to run the Plex on 12bit for example....

my other request would be to have the same Drive algorithm for all delay blocks. currently the regular Delay block type one sounds far superior to the MultiTap one. I believe it was updated a long time ago, but somehow never for the MultiTap block.

and speaking of Drive, please make it available in ALL types of delays...

thank you!

To expound:
The first step in adding compansion to the delay block was creating a compander algorithm. So I created a Compander type first in the Compressor block. Once that was working I used that algorithm in the Delay block.

The Compander allows you to set the Ratio, Time, Transients and Level. Turn Transients down and the attack is reduced, turn it up and the attack is enhanced. You can use it with kick drum to enhance the punch, put it on vocals to reduce plosives, etc.
Will the multidelay and chorus/flanger blocks see the same BBD update?

Will the multidelay and chorus/flanger blocks see the same BBD update?
I think it's an "addition" rather than just an update and sure hope it's not only available in the BBD type. so maybe it could be added to the Chorus/Flanger block to improve them in the"character department" as well ;) .

speaking of "character", the Strymon Brigadier has the option to introduce noise to the repeats. actually something most of vintage delays have by nature. its done in a very "musical" way and not just like slapping a synth block with white noise after the delay.
I could imagine a noise parameter right next to Drive and Bit Depth ;)

To expound:

Too cool.

I've read some stuff claiming the Delay block isn't "colorful" enough so I'm updating it.

I've added an optional "Compander" to simulate the noise reduction used in those old BBD delays with the NE570/SA571 chip. I've also improved the algorithm and the types to give things a bit more character. You can even adjust the compander time constant and "mismatch" between the compressor and expander to adjust the amount of grunge and transient distortion.
OK, Now that's awesome! I hope that you'll take this ideas to warm analog rack delays.

BTW, this things occurs me also with reverb, some rack reverbs have a certain warmth, that I need to add a drive pedal after the reverb to achieve.

OK, Now that's awesome! I hope that you'll take this ideas to warm analog rack delays.

BTW, this things occurs me also with reverb, some rack reverbs have a certain warmth, that I need to add a drive pedal after the reverb to achieve.
Have you ever played with the EQ options in the rvb block?

Some people claim that we FAS acolytes are just koolaid drinking cult members, but I'll be darned if it aint a tasty tasty drink.
Um, yes. Well, cult-y-like-esquey-ish

And, yeah... that would be me.

I am in for the full ride.
I am here for the shunning,
the social isolation,
the big white van,
the sneakers,
and the Kool-aid.
-- I want the full kit.

But,
for the most part,
I'm really just here for the party

-- and, the firmware updates.

Or, I guess -- I could just say thanks. ;)

I made this comment 10 years ago in the forum, but when I was in college I had a DOD delay pedal and I had a variable voltage wall wart power supply. The one with the two prong miniature fang probes with a female plug adapter and multiple barrel sizes on the other end - you could reverse the polarity by turning the female plug 180 degrees before inserting the male fangs. The wall wart had a slide switch with detents from 3 to 12 volts.
I used to run it at 7.5 on the DOD for some noisey swish delay. Very musical. Listen the delays on the lead guitar during the intro and turnarounds of “I need somebody” by Bryan Adams. I was getting the crappy wash (but in a good way) by browning out the pedal.

Actually, not really. But how can it distort it and bring an additional gain stage or saturation?
You can separate the wet signal from the delay or reverb, in parallel to the dry signal, and run it through at Tube-Preamp block, a Tape Overdrive block, the Preamps of the CAB block, a Compressor, etc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom