Delay and Reverb in Front of Amp

catscanman82

Inspired
Can anyone share their settings when putting their Delay and Reverb in front of the amp along with how effects chain. I know it is better in the loop but seems a lot of people like the way it sounds in front. thanks for the help

Really depends on what you are going for. There are cases for reverb before distortion, You can do anything you want and experiment now since everything is virtual. Do what sounds good to you!

Traditional wisdom says put delay and verb last in your chain, after distortion.

I've tried just about everything over the years and for me, on this one, traditional wins, hands down. Sending delay and reverb INTO a drive pedal or high gain amp channel completely sucks. IMO. This is the whole reason for 4CM.

(edit) into a clean amp channel, no problem. I ran delay\verb into the front of my Fender amps for years. It's not perfect because the amp breaks up slightly, but it's acceptable.

Last edited:
Can anyone share their settings when putting their Delay and Reverb in front of the amp along with how effects chain. I know it is better in the loop but seems a lot of people like the way it sounds in front. thanks for the help

Honestly, you should just experiment. The main thing you'll be fighting is the delay mix. For any sort of typical delay sounds, your mix is going to have to be set way, way, way lower for a distorted tone than a clean tone. And you're going to appreciate the EQ features available to you with the FX8 because delays into distortion can sound harsh.

Traditional wisdom says put delay and verb last in your chain, after distortion.

I've tried just about everything over the years and for me, on this one, traditional wins, hands down. Sending delay and reverb INTO a drive pedal or high gain amp channel completely sucks. IMO. This is the whole reason for 4CM.

(edit) into a clean amp channel, no problem. I ran delay\verb into the front of my Fender amps for years. It's not perfect because the amp breaks up slightly, but it's acceptable.

It all depends... there's plenty of deadly shoegaze sounds that are reverb into drive... it's not for normal situations, but for a wall of sound... it can be amazing... that's why it's cool to have options!!

Don't you lose stereo if you add the delay before the amp/cab.?

well.. I'm talking about the wider world of guitar sounds, not just the Fractal stuff... if you want stereo you can always use two amps... but of course really the original shoegaze guys were just doing it all in mono live...

The first thing to try is a much lower delay mix setting for PRE than POST.

Didn't notice the forum...sorry.

I use my Axe-Fx in front of my AC30 and I always put the delay last in the chain. I typically have Comp -> OD/Distortion -> Delay -> AC30.

Back
Top Bottom